• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get 401fsb on P5B-Deluxe Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buckster

Registered
OK - I know the processor can run Orthos stable above 3.2 gig (E6600) - at 1.45V ... and thats at 1:1 RAM @ 357 x 9 ...

ok - and everyone says thats quite a lot of strain on the motherboard as in the top of a "strap", and that if you jump to 401 then its less strain and should be more overclockable

BUT - if I set same Vcore - 1.45V - and fsb to 401, PCI-E to 100, PCI to 33, and multiplier to 8 - so exactly 3.2 gig - I can save settings and boot into bios, but IF I then exit that bios - without changing settings, the pc won't even post - and I have to turn off on the back to do an "overclocked failed"

whats causing me the problem - RAM is only at 800MHz - which it is rated to - so no problems there, the CPU is at a frequency I know it can run at - and in theory the motherboard is less stressed ... but it must be the motherboard thats the weak point in this case ?

Friend has same setup (same RAM, CPU, motherboard) - and he has the same problem. Yet I read threads and threads about people having problems above 320 fsb - and finding 401 + no problems at all.

thanks for any help,

Mark.

untill you set the memory lower, or set the timings with more wait states, you wont know for a fact that its the memory.
try the memory at 2/3rds, and the cpu at its normal multiplyer. at least just to find out.

It helps to state your components

It might be that you're not giving the ram enough voltage?

Raise the FSB termination and NB voltages until they are in the pink. If you're feeling frisky, you can raise them until they are in the red. Also recommend raising the SB voltage until it's pink also.

Just to let you know, the P5B should easily hit 401 without any increases in voltage -- except for the CPU (maybe). In addition, with the P5B, the word AUTO means just that. Set everything to AUTO (even the CPU voltage). Manually increase the FSB to 333Mhz (at first). The board will AUTOmatically adjust the necessary voltages. It has worked for me up to 400Mhz. I haven't tested beyond that, however. The only downfall it that the board is more likely to overvolt your CPU, but you can always manually set it once you get a sense of how many volts you'll need.

thanks for all your help guys, clearing the CMOS using the jumper worked - now boots fine into 401x8, but its not stable unfortunately.

Runs Orthos Blend for about 4 minutes then bogs out, I can still run the same CPU speed at same voltage, @ 357 x 9, and its completely stable - bizarre.

Would one expect Vcore to be same @ 9x multiplier as 8x multiplier ?

The only other thing I can think of is the northbridge/southbridge voltages, which are all on Auto at teh moment, but I read one post somewhere where someone toasted their P5B-D tweaking those too high ?

thanks, Mark.

Because when you lower your multiplier down to 8, default is 9, you are running 451, instead of 401.Edit: that's fsb to the northbridge chipset.. If you plan on running 450, increase the vcore. In my case, I had to run 1.6 to achieve 450.
Do you know what your cpu stepping is? Or what date is was made? Mine is week 25.

Last edited:
Onborder - thanks - why is it 451 at 401 - sorry I don't understand.

8x401 = 3.22 gig ? where does the 451 come into it - I'm obviously been dense I think.

I have a E6600 - week 24, 6B2 :( - likes its volts, fine at about 1.37 vcore up to 3.0 gig - then needs 1.45 @ just under 3.2, 1.46 at 3.22 etc

thanks, Mark/.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23803
More or less it's, when your default multiplier is 9, lower to 8, you divide the 9 by 8 which is 1.125, then you multiply your fsb by the 1.125 to get the actual speed..
To check it out, run SisoftSandra>Hardware>Mainboard, scroll down to chipset 1 to frontside bus speed.. It should tell you there.. If not it's somewhere in sisoft.
Edit;that would be fsb to the n.b.chipset.

Last edited:
Back