• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4-pin or 8-pin EATX on P5B-D and E6400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yensen

I've seen some pics with people using only 4-pin EATX power for their c2d setups. So my question is as follows: Is there a reason for NOT using 8-pin EATX power when you can? I've always assumed that the more power potential you have, the better.

more is better, because there will be a more solid power even at the end of the wire, and through the connector.

i have a low voltage high amperage solar test system set up, and with AMPS that is when you need shorter fatter wire, basically more wires, makes for a fatter conduction path and would reduce "resistance" making the power more stable.

is there even an 8pin eatx connector on the board... i only see the normal P4 4 pin connector?

EDIT: nvm.... damn google has this really crazy thing called a search function... WHO WOULDA THUNK IT!

also like the guy above me said.... it would be smart to use the 8pin to reduce the resistance of the whole connection... less resistance = more effeciency and voltage closer to what should be outputted. But sometimes power supplies dont have the 8pin.... which is really just 2 P4 connectors put together... running the 8 pin wont cause the voltages to stop flucuating because it uses the same rail as the 4pin BUT it will cause less droop in the 12v line because there will be less resistance when more amps are drawn thus less of a drop in voltage.

i would think the p5w dh would have a 8 plug my p5wd2 e has a 8 plug conecter on the board but ot had a black cap on the right four when i bougth it new check it out

w2richwood said:
i would think the p5w dh would have a 8 plug my p5wd2 e has a 8 plug conecter on the board but ot had a black cap on the right four when i bougth it new check it out
Well, one thing for sure........I know how to count to 8 so i double checked and what do you know, still only 4. :rolleyes:
1198lle1.jpg

Last edited:
w2richwood said:
i know you've been around for a while but it dont hurt to look lol sorry if i offened you
Nah, i'm just messing with you man. It's all good. :beer: I'm just unsure of the difference the 4 pin and 8 pin plug.

I ran my P5B with just 4 Pin connector for a while til I realized I could use the other 4. Didn't improve my clock or stability though.

Back