• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista = Crippleware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Did you guys see this on the front page today?

Vista = Crippleware? According to the New York Times, Microsoft will crack down on illegal copies of Vista by incorporating features to disable parts of Vista. If the user does not legalize Vista within 30 days, it will be further crippled, including limiting access to the internet to one hour/day.

I have no problem with Microsoft cracking down on piracy, but I can imagine all sorts of problems with this feature early on.

Did they forget to link to actual article talking about the kinds of problems that can be imagined happening?

Were we supposed to guess what was imagined? :)

Last edited:
This is B.S. How much money does microsoft have? How much more money does microsoft NEED? Its not like they already have a MONOPOLY or anything... Not like they have GUARENTEED sales to tons and tons of buisnesses and schools. Yes i know its there software, and i know they have the right to do this, but i seriously think this is crossing the line. Maybe if peopel didnt have to pay such redicilously high prices for an OS, more people would buy them. And i highly highly doubt 35% of Microsoft users are using pirated copies of windows.

dicecca112 said:
well if you own a legit copy who cares?

If the text is correct--
If the user does not legalize Vista within 30 days

It doesn't actualyl change anything.

Current windows is activate in 30 days or it stops working too.

Or is this every 30 days? :confused:

Unless they change it to every 30 days, nothin will change. Pirated vista will still remain activation hacked, and continue to function perfectly.

Just like XP. Heck, even with it changed to 30 days, thats an easy work around, really..

I agree with dippy the pirates are still going to be able to pirate it. Just will keep some of the dumber people from stealing is all.

As for me.. I have yet to have a problem with my windows activation that a call to microsoft didnt fix... so I think this is really only going to be an issue for pirated copies.

Pirates will just use a cracked version and "Normal" people will be the one's having to go through the security.

I'm half tempted to buy Vista, but use a cracked version so i won't be bothered with the security BS they try to add.

dippy_skoodlez said:
Current windows is activate in 30 days or it stops working too.
not true. i have a copy of windows that has been an "evaluation" copy for over a year. (though im not saying how).

seems like this system would prevent such happenings.

I also legitimatly own my copy of windows, im just against windows activation.

Last edited:
Sure some pirates will get Vista no problem, but it can take time to crack and it still stops a lot of people who really are not sure how to go about that type of thing. If they had no security then it's easy to say that there would be a lot more people using illegal copies. Anyway I don't see a huge problem with this, they give you 30 days plus after that all you have to do is restart your PC every 1 hour.

dicecca112 said:
Windows XP locks after 30 days
Yeah tell me about it :rolleyes:

I had to rescue some poor guy when the supposed expert who installed XP for him also neglected to activate it for him. Once it was locked up I couldn't even activate it from safe mode. I ended up reformatting his disk and split it into two 40gig partitions. The expert just had it all on one big 80gig partition. Once it was newly installed, I had to activate by phone. A hassle but now he is happy with a fresh new install of XP to screw up so I can fix it again for him later :p

I don't know why everyone keeps whining about how rich Microsoft/Bill Gates is and why they should just give Windows away to us poor cheapskates. If you don't like the price, just keep using XP/W2k or switch to another OS like Linux :rolleyes:

At least Vista won't hard lock you out like XP does.

dicecca112 said:
well if you own a legit copy who cares?

Agreed. Heck, this is better than the old activation process, because at least it's partially usable now. I'd just like to be able to activate over the internet again instead of the phone BS every time. If they don't pull that crap again I'll be happy.

tenchi86 said:
Sure some pirates will get Vista no problem, but it can take time to crack and it still stops a lot of people who really are not sure how to go about that type of thing. If they had no security then it's easy to say that there would be a lot more people using illegal copies. Anyway I don't see a huge problem with this, they give you 30 days plus after that all you have to do is restart your PC every 1 hour.

Problem is, same thing that happened for XP will occur. The pirates will hack the activation out, and make it automated, if necessary.

You wouldn't BELIEVE some of the really cool, illegal tools that are available.. They are amazing. :eek:

Hipcrostino said:
not true. i have a copy of windows that has been an "evaluation" copy for over a year. (though im not saying how).

seems like this system would prevent such happenings.

I also legitimatly own my copy of windows, im just against windows activation.

Well ofocurse its not if you reset the clock :rolleyes: (activation clock, not windows clock)

I would believe them as I have seen a lot. Trust me though when I say that even with how easy it is to get around the activation system does stop a lot of people from pirating. If there was not a security system then people who hardly even knew how to use a computer would start to copy Windows, kind of like what happened a few years ago when CD burners came out and games really had no security to prevent burning. I am not saying it's a perfect system, but a system like it does need to be in effect and if you ask me this one is a bit to soft on the users.

you know, the way they do the activation in xp is bull **** any way. i got fed up installing new hardware and having it tell me its a different computer when i add a dvd burner or osmething, once is enough. i just cracked the activator to be done with it.

my copy of xp is only on one computer any way so who cares?
and this microsoft anti piracy software is a joke, it asks me to install it every time, EVEN WHEN I INSTALL IT it still asks. so what ever, havent updates in months but no problems either.

i'm gonna stay way from this one, the required space is out of hand, was out of hand in xp aswell but i can live with it in xp, not vista...i smell another ME any way

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
This is B.S. How much money does microsoft have? How much more money does microsoft NEED? Its not like they already have a MONOPOLY or anything... Not like they have GUARENTEED sales to tons and tons of buisnesses and schools. Yes i know its there software, and i know they have the right to do this, but i seriously think this is crossing the line. Maybe if peopel didnt have to pay such redicilously high prices for an OS, more people would buy them. And i highly highly doubt 35% of Microsoft users are using pirated copies of windows.

You sound like a filthy commie!

Seriously, nothing in life is free. If you want to use their product, buy it. Otherwise, stick with XP. How much money do people on this site spend on hardware and cooling components? I saw somebody selling a $500 copper tube in the classifieds for dry ice OCing. That is only to overclock your computer for a short time! $150-$200 for the OS is a drop in the bucket compared to how much many people on this site spend on their computers.

Alien1099 said:
That is only to overclock your computer for a short time! $150-$200 for the OS is a drop in the bucket compared to how much many people on this site spend on their computers.

Then you can factor in the other 90% of the population where $200-$300 is the WHOLE COMPUTER. :rolleyes:

dippy_skoodlez said:
Then you can factor in the other 90% of the population where $200-$300 is the WHOLE COMPUTER. :rolleyes:

You PINGED it. :beer: Not everyone realizes that 10% or less of all computer users are overclockers and the average joe computer user has never heard of overclocking or forums like this.

Back