• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Completely new to overlocking...how to on a DS3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tiltmode1

So I just successfully built my first computer after a few days of it not working...finally got it.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
XFX GeForce 7600GT XXX Edition /w a Zalman Cooler
Maxtor 6L300S0 300gb 7200rpm
2x1gb Patriot Signature DDR2 667 PC25300 Dual Channel
XClio 450BL PSU
Raidmax X-1 Case

Now, I know the E6300 is capable of overclocking alot and so is my motherboard, however I am clueless on how to do so. I've read some tutorials and understand them for the most part, except I don't know what to adjust in the BIOS. I see alot of stuff with voltages, etc. But don't know where to start. I used @BioS to update my BIOS to version F6.

If anyone could give me a tutorial or help on how to overclock with a Gigabyte DS3 motherboard, it would be greatly appreciated. :) I'm new to overclocking so sorry if I sound a little lame...

There are a bunch of options in the bios you need to disable first. Go to advanced bios options and disable everything in that menu. Next Go to M.I.T and enable the manual clock setting for the FSB. Try setting the fsb to 370 first and see if it boots. If it doesnt lower it in 5mhz increments untill it does. When you get it to boot into windows ron orthos or another program to verify stabilty. After that you just really got to play with settings untill you find your max.

Here's a start for you. You might need to add +1V to your DRAM (Vdimm). You might be able to remove the FSB overvolt. You might need to increase the MCH Overvolt but this is a start. Your ram might not take the 4 - 4 - 4 - 12 but I think it will. You can drop the DRAM to 5 - 5 - 5 - 15 to remove it from the overclock equation. Then once you have a stable overclock you can begin to tweak the latencies to see where it can go.

This should give you 2.8GHz and you can tweak from there. Your CPU voltage has been raised higher than it needs to be (I would think) so that you can increase the FSB more. Many make 3.0 or higher on this board and processor.

I would flash your BIOS to F6 if it isn't already.

f6biossettings-1.jpg

DS3 is one of the best boards for beginner overclockers...

Not saying F6 is a bad BIOS, there seem to be lots of people who it worked for, but it didn't work for me... It made my sound card stop working, and it also wouldn't let me use my overclocked settings that I currently use. Which is strange, because the F6 BIOS was supposed to increase overclock performance of the E6300 and E6400. I'm still using F5, haven't tried F7.

Anyway, I too was very new to overclocking, and I aimed for 2.6ghz, and ended up reaching 3ghz. I know how to go higher, but I need better cooling first.

Back