• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap CDR's???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

13oots2

Just bought some cheap 800Mb CDR's, should they read as 800Mb in any software I use? If they should I've been sold a lemon.

I would assume that they would and should display as 800mb disks in any software unless specified otherwise why would they not.. hmmm sounds lemonish to me

well...some burners (like nero) support overburn...which is using the little open space on the outside (normally open cuz its more open to scratching and the elements)

my guess is they're 700's but "tested" to carry up to 800...

Thanks Guy's, never used 800Mb's before, no real need. Got them because they were very cheap even for 700's, the boxes all say 800 so will give them a whirl.
Good to see you back Unseen Menace:) Will try not to grimace too much when I bite into them.

Last edited:
13oots2 said:
should they read as 800Mb in any software I use?

often even when i have 700mb discs windows will only recognize them as 650 when they're empty

i've only overburned a few times...once to try it out...and other times because i had files that were just over 700...

i don't remember exactly if windows or other aps recognized it as such....but they did read fine....and i guess thats what matters

EDIT
Just gained 100Mb in my imagination, 80Min not 800Mb. Glad you all knew what I was on about:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

i know there are 800mb but not 2 much burners/software suporting them so u can chec which does from pulishers sites ! i think easy cd creator 5 does (even 4 with pach i might be wrong about this but i never used due the 1@ price) good luck if u buy em and not 80 min lol.

enyway what does cdrw cost back there i got a box with 4,4$ (10 in it) 80 min 700 mb arita and i think theyr expencive hope to get them with 2.7 a box (10 in it)

I have an older burner and the Easy CD Creater software that came with it does not recognize the 700MB CD-Rs. Still lists them as 640MB, however, it still let's me "overburn" them to the full 700MB capacity. I routinely overburn regular CD-Rs by 30 to 40 seconds (music time), assuming the CD-R is good quality stuff. I tried over 1 minute once and got a coaster. Does anyone know if there is a free upgrade or patch to let this old software recognize the newer larger capacity CD-Rs?

I personally think it is your software. I had similar troubles with disks that I KNEW were not lemons and they read 800 meg. However, my Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 kept saying that I couln't write 780 megs of files to the CD because there was not enough room. When I tired buring 640 megs, it worked perfectly.

Well, I just checked out the Easy CD Creator website and looked at all the upgrades and patches. There are none available for my old 3.5c version. They are pushing to sell you the new version 5 platinum at $100 (dream on). Oh well, I'll just deal with it like I have been in the past and "overburn" to get my full 700MB onto the CD-Rs.

Back