• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Poll - Easiest Conroe Board to O/C?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nonstop

Registered
Hello all, this is a quick poll to see who has found the best no hassle board for the core 2 duo.

I have read lots of reviews regarding good overclocking boards from gigabyte, asus and intel but they all seem to have their issues such as either being fincky or poorly built.

Thanks for the advice.

Hey man, mostly everything is poorly built today. But I would have to go would the ASUS P5W64 WS Professional as being the all round best.

I vote Asus P5B Deluxe as the easiest Oc'er around.
Although they are due for a newer bios update and I dont mean v.711 or what ever was just released...
Plus its quad core ready for when the new 45nm quads hit.
Give'R a try you wont be sorry!!

The ASUS P5W64 WS Professional is the best board for E6600 and above right now..
And the P5B-Deluxe (wi-fi or regular) best E6300 and E6400 board IMHO right now.

Next month, the Biostar tforce 965P will be out, if it has some mem. subtimings in the bios it could be equal to the P5B-Deluxe, it would be close even without them.

dont forget rd600 chipset comes out at the end of the month or rumored too.

ocing comes down to which bios you like best cant say one is easier then the other. since gigabyte/abit/asus offer ocing from within windows though you can not set cpu/mem dividers.

So no one thinks the DS3 is an easy setup and overclocking board?

some threads are starting to run together so i forgot if i said this here. asus/abit/gigabyte are very easy to oc. assuming you have ram that flies with said mobo. some are prolly wondering what im talking about when isay all 3 are easy. well once you get voltages set to what you think you need for th fsb your after. also having all dividers set according. boot into windows and use the manfactures windows oc tool. some of them or all allow on the fly voltage changing. sorry i haveny used giga or asus to say for sure if they offer on the fly voltage adjustments in windows. n just never ever change voltages while your cpu or ram is being stressed, as i did once. i was greeted to a hard lock that i had to unplug the psu.

greenmaji said:
I find that the DS3 is lacking the ICH8R southbridge :(

Can you tell me what the significance of the ich8r southbridge is?

Thanks.

Evilsizer said:
ich8 = no raid
ich8r = raid

Thanks! So if I didn't need raid or sli... would the p5b non deluxe be a good choice? Would the o/c features be less since it's not a 'performace' board like the deluxe?

check out the matrix raid thread in the Storage froum and ponder on wether or not you "need" it ;)

nonstop said:
Thanks! So if I didn't need raid or sli... would the p5b non deluxe be a good choice? Would the o/c features be less since it's not a 'performace' board like the deluxe?
well the gigabyte 965p-ds3 and 965p-s3 will oc better then the plain p5b. p5b has a limit of 2.1 v-dimm, thats the major draw back. no ocing no raid get the 965p-s3 or 965p-ds3. those are the only 2 atm to suggest unless you think you might want to use raid later. i mea why pay for features you do see your self using when other boards without the options are ocing the same if not higher.

greenmaji said:
check out the matrix raid thread in the Storage froum and ponder on wether or not you "need" it ;)
green means this thread, hehe you thought raptors are fast check out the seagates :drool: :drool:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=467848

Max Vdimm on the P5B-Deluxe is 2.45
Max on the 965P-DS3 is 2.4 and no matrix raid :( <- catching a pattern ;) ROFL :p

Evilsizer said:
well the gigabyte 965p-ds3 and 965p-s3 will oc better then the plain p5b. p5b has a limit of 2.1 v-dimm, thats the major draw back. no ocing no raid get the 965p-s3 or 965p-ds3. those are the only 2 atm to suggest unless you think you might want to use raid later. i mea why pay for features you do see your self using when other boards without the options are ocing the same if not higher.

green means this thread, hehe you thought raptors are fast check out the seagates :drool: :drool:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=467848

Thanks evil, and green for your help. I need to get into raid one day but I have 3 or 4 systems for me and the fam and never enough time with all the other things we have going on to get more hard drives and spend time setting up raid. I want to soon but maybe just a good ol non sli board that can o/c well will do me now.

After reading everything if you don't want to spend 200.00 you need to get the ds3 which many say is finicky or complain about build quality from here and other boards. :confused:

I am wondering if I should just wait on the new nforce chips. They have been good to me in the past and some of the new boards look promising...

nonstop said:
Thanks evil, and green for your help. I need to get into raid one day but I have 3 or 4 systems for me and the fam and never enough time with all the other things we have going on to get more hard drives and spend time setting up raid. I want to soon but maybe just a good ol non sli board that can o/c well will do me now.

After reading everything if you don't want to spend 200.00 you need to get the ds3 which many say is finicky or complain about build quality from here and other boards. :confused:

I am wondering if I should just wait on the new nforce chips. They have been good to me in the past and some of the new boards look promising...
nv chipsets suck for ocing intel's max fsb irrc is 280mhz. i would say take a p965-s3 over any intel nv chipset, that is if you want to oc. if you were just running stock and want sli then i would suggest a nv based board. well if you can wait biostar should have their tforce-965p board in the states soon. other then that i think the 965p-s3 fits your needs.

Back