• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC my XMS2 DDR2 800mhz RAM.............

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AC3421

Disabled
Hey, can someone lay out the steps of overclocking my RAM (in my sig) in an easy to read step list?? no middle ****, no mumbo jumbo, just the straight up facts of how to.

Also, does overclocking my RAM mean I have to sacrifice some CPU speeds?? or lower Certain Bus Speeds?? and if it does, will having to lower certain Bus speeds affect other areas of performance?? or will the overclocked RAM make up for it?? My ram modules have been know to be OC'ed up to 1000mhz I have read, but I just want 900mhz for now.

Thank you..

EDIT: also, wich would be better, lowering my timings to overall CAS 4 and leaving 800mhz, or leaving my timings at Cas 5 and bringing up the clock? CPU magazine sais the sweet spot right now with AM2 motherboards is CAS of 4 and 800mhz for the best performance/stability balance.

The best thing to do is set the RAM on a 1:1 ratio and let it climb up with your FSB speed, that is if you have a FSB of over 400.

If you want to run your ram at a higher speed than your FSB then you can set an according ratio. And no higher RAM mhz doenst effect your CPU speed as long as your running a correct ration and not sacrificing FSB for RAM.

IMO mhz>latency.

Most people only OC their ram to get more FSB out of their CPU, not just to have faster ram.

Ok, wait, how do I set the RAM on a 1:1 ratio?? what do you mean by this?? (I'm new to OC terms) and what do you mean by "let it climb up with your FSB"? and how do I check what my FSB is set at?? cause my BIOS doesnt have a distinct setting under its tweaker section labled Front side Bus Mhz. its there but i dont know what it labels it as.

Also, in your Sig, under your RAM part, you put XM2. you forgot the "S" in XMS2. just lettin you know. :)

Last edited:
Take some pics of your BIOS settings and that makes it easy for people to tell what settings are what. I dont know anything about your board so its hard to say exactly where you can change the settings, all I know was my 590 was a biotch to OC.

Ok, but hold on, i was jus looking at CPU-Z for my comp, and i noticed under the Memory and SPD tabs, my memory to CPU-Z is only being clocked at 400 mhz..WTF?? Ntune shows it at 800mhz and so does my BIOS. Is CPU-Z wrong?

EDIT: i tried taking some pics of CPU-Z and uploading them from manage attachments and it just says uplaod failed everytime. posting pics never ****ing works for me.

but anyways, it also says in CPU-Z under the SPD tab, and "Max Bandwith" it says PC2-6400 (wich is correct) then in parentheses after that it says (400mhz) wich is not correct. What is going on ???

EDIT: CPU-Z is also showing my Motherboard BIOS version as F4 and not F5 wich i have.

Last edited:
What?!?!?! no, because they sell single 1gb XMS2 sticks that are 800mhz. mine is a 2gb kit though, but i never heard of it being that way ever before. How sure of this are you?? and why does my BIOS show 800mhz and nTune shows 800mhz as well?? and not 400mhz as you say a single stick is.

Last edited:
I think some of the stickys would do you some good AC3421.

DDR stands for double data rate meaning two bits are sent per clock cycle (on the rising and trailing edge of the clock.) Your memory is really running at 400 Mhz but since it sends two bits per clock cycle its effectively the same speed as a 800Mhz chip that works at single data rate (SD-RAM.) Yes its completely common place to refer to RAMs "effective" speed rather than its real clock speed.

The speed of your memory has nothing to do with the fact that you're running one or two memory sticks...not sure where you are getting that from. Although that being said if your motherboard is a dual channel motherboard meaning it has 2 separate datapaths it can access the memory over you'll get twice the bandwidth by running a stick in each channel as opposed to both in the same channel or just 1 stick.

Your system memory is accessed over a 64-bit bus. A dual channel motherboard (where you have at least 1 stick in each channel) gives you 2 separate 64 bit datapaths to access your memory on thus doubling your bandwidth. The individual sticks of RAM run at the same speed whether you have 1 or 4 but running dual channel will double the memory bandwidth available. Hope this helps a little... really though, do yourself a favor and read some of the stickys, you'll be amazed what you can learn here.

Cool, thanks for the info. ^

Also, i still cant get my BIOS pics to post on the forumn, it just sais upload failed under manage attachments. And im not dealing with a photo hosting site, bad experiences with them too. nothing but frustration.

When you attempt to upload an attachment the aproved file types and the size restrictions for each file type is listed below the upload browser, make sure your pictures are of an approved file type and are within the file size restrictions when uploading your files.
I hope this helps :)

I knew that and everything was fine, and it still didnt work. If its too big it will say file is to large to upload. For me it just said File upload failed.

just use photobucket. I always use them to host my pics. Btw, that's a pretty crazy sig, i don't htink i've seen anyone list their mouse, keyboard and speakers lol :)

I've read the Memory OCing guide by Drisler, but am unsure if I'll see much of a performance gain by changing my timings, and I'm not exactly sure how to go about it.

oc1.png

oc2.png

Memory voltage is currently at 2.2. If you guys recommend lowering the timings, do I just slowly start stepping down from the 5-4-4-15 that it's at now? Such as 4-3-3-14? Or is there another(better) way to do this?

this is a thread for my overclock, lol, not yours.^^ (no offense). Start a thread for your OC and you will get alot more replies. Im kinda on a pause for mine at the moment, as Im going to wait till i get the new Zalman AM2 cooler untill OC my CPUU or Memory. I want to do them at the same time.

Bye the way, your C2D 6800 wont last very long at that frequency. I read alot of **** about the 6800 dying when being OC'd to over 3.9 ghz. Just letting you know. Im actually in the middle of a conroe build with an e6600.

Last edited:
AC3421, you may have a another point here. AM2 will clock ram differently then conros due to the way ram is driven differently. All intel uses the FSB clocks, your AM2 is using the CPU clock which produces different signal strengths. There's nothing wrong with helping someone across CPU lines and it is welcomed, but just remember your results will vary.

Back