• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Selection is Dwendeling: Need a 478 P4 MoBo!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randyman...

Hello,

I know there are tons of threads on 478 MoBo's, but most of the good 478 MoBo's are getting impossible to find (and for good reason ;) ). People are gouging prices on any of the descent Asus P4P/P4C stuff that is NOS leftover, and those are the only 478 MoBo's I am vaguely familiar with (I own one of each :) ).

My P4P800E-Deluxe is dead, and I need a replacement. Out of what small selection is left - what would you reccommend? I really liked the 533MHz DDR RAM option on the P4P (I have a Gig of 550MHz 2.5CAS Corsair, or a Gig of 400MHz CAS2 Geil to choose from). I would like to mildy OC the P4 3.0E - but OC'ing is not 100% required (I ran 220FSB on my dead P4P - just a mild OC).

What do you think about some of the Intel branded 478 MoBo's? No OC-Ability on these, correct? I just want something stable, with SATA ports (ICH5R preferred for RAID-0 on the Southbridge), and I would prefer an Intel 865 or equivalent chipset. Mini-ATX would be cool, but standard ATX would be fine.

I would even consider a MoBo that uses a 775 CPU with DDR-400 RAM - but this will mean a new CPU to boot. I'm trying to keep this system functional for the lowest cost possible (the 3.0E is plenty powerful for my applications).

Thanks a MILLION for any help on this fastly evaporating portion of the MoBo marketplace... I really need this PC for a Recording Session that I am working on - so I'd really apprciate any prompt replies :D Otherwise, I am stuck with lugging my Presler system around - and this thing is HEAVY (5HD's, Big PS, large Heatsink, full size ATX Case, etc).

:cool:

well if you dont oc then how about this board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135020
i cant recommend any other boards for ocing since the good ones are gone like you said. there is one user here in the classies section selling a p4p800-e for $85. for that price though you could get a lga775 mobo that is c2d ready and you could just get a cheap "netburst" cpu to boot.

if you had to buy a new cpu and lga board how much would you be willing to spend. you could also recover some of the cost by either selling you cpu here in the classies or ebaying it. if i was in your position i would sell/ebay the cpu then nab a nice c2d mobo and put a older lga netburst in it till the cheaper c2d's come out later this year.

for still using your ddr and agp these 2 also allows later use for ddr2.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185086
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135027

for ddr/ddr2 and pci-e
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135023
i would say use this one as you can use the onboard video till your ready for pci-e.
then i would get this cpu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116001
dual core for 89 bucks cant be beat atm on the intel side.

im just tring to give you updrade options for down the road so you not stuck with a mobo which you paid some $85 for that is EOL.

Thanks for your kind reply!

I plan on building a nice C2D system in early 2007 (I already have a nice Presler Rig), and I was really just hoping to get this system running with an Intel Chipset based MoBo.

I might just bite the bullet, and buy one of those Intel Branded 478 MoBos for now. I'm not big on Cheap MoBo's, so I'd prefer to avoid any "Bargain" C2D MoBo's just for the sake of an Upgrade Path. I could still re-sell the 478 P4 PC as a compete system to recoupe some cash when I build the C2D rig.

Also, I am not using my ISP's E-mail addy (Never have), so I am blocked off OC Forum's Classifieds section :( . I use my Work E-Mail from Fox Sports (Been here 7 years now, and my name is integrated into the addy), but that is not good enough.... Oh well, I understand inconveniencing tons of people for the good of a few (keeps people from getting scammed). With an eBay rating of 100% with 170 Transactions, you think that would act as some kind of voucher for my buying/selling habits. But no amount of complaining will get me around using my ISP's E-Mail. So no Classifieds for Randyman :(

then i recommend the ecs i listed first it uses intels cheaper 848 chipset. if you dont mind not being able to oc then i would recommend it atm since spending more right now is a waste IMO.

I can't believe I just did that! I bought a $17.99 MoBo :eek: ! Thanks for the ECS link - I never would have looked in New Eggs' Recertified section for a MoBo. Like you pointed out, it uses Intel Chipsets - so it should work flawlessly with my Audio gear... Even the Cheap Sparkle PS I use in this system was $35! That is 2x as much as this MoBo :D

Hopefully, it will work like a charm. I'll spend the big bucks on the C2D System, and get it screaming faster than my Presler rig! I am a big overclocker (PC#1 = 3.9GHz Presler 930, and PC#2 = 4GHz 3.2E P4), but I just wanted to get this "Utility" rig running for now...

I'll post back when I get the system up and running. Looks like I might have a Gig of 550MHz DDR-1 Corsair XMS CAS2.5 RAM up for sale soon since I no longer have anywhere to use it :) (sell it on eBay)

Randyman... said:
Hello,

I know there are tons of threads on 478 MoBo's, but most of the good 478 MoBo's are getting impossible to find (and for good reason ;) ). People are gouging prices on any of the descent Asus P4P/P4C stuff that is NOS leftover, and those are the only 478 MoBo's I am vaguely familiar with (I own one of each :) ).

My P4P800E-Deluxe is dead, and I need a replacement. Out of what small selection is left - what would you reccommend? I really liked the 533MHz DDR RAM option on the P4P (I have a Gig of 550MHz 2.5CAS Corsair, or a Gig of 400MHz CAS2 Geil to choose from). I would like to mildy OC the P4 3.0E - but OC'ing is not 100% required (I ran 220FSB on my dead P4P - just a mild OC).

What do you think about some of the Intel branded 478 MoBo's? No OC-Ability on these, correct? I just want something stable, with SATA ports (ICH5R preferred for RAID-0 on the Southbridge), and I would prefer an Intel 865 or equivalent chipset. Mini-ATX would be cool, but standard ATX would be fine.

I would even consider a MoBo that uses a 775 CPU with DDR-400 RAM - but this will mean a new CPU to boot. I'm trying to keep this system functional for the lowest cost possible (the 3.0E is plenty powerful for my applications).

Thanks a MILLION for any help on this fastly evaporating portion of the MoBo marketplace... I really need this PC for a Recording Session that I am working on - so I'd really apprciate any prompt replies :D Otherwise, I am stuck with lugging my Presler system around - and this thing is HEAVY (5HD's, Big PS, large Heatsink, full size ATX Case, etc).

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/ASUS-P4GPL-478-PCIE-Review-ftopict172519.html

I got one. Not the greatest and hard to find.

-----------------------ALSO-------------------

I had a left over video card and HSF and bought a $30 Case/PSU [really]
and got a $100 CPU mobo combo from Tiger Direct.
It is OK but no barn burner. Could be you scavenge some
things and make a low level cheapy?

Everyone said "NO!" to VIA but like so what if you get hosed
tryig to get an Intel board.

anyway..........

ANYWAY.....just Google P4 motherboards and then use FROOGLE from the other drop down.

Google '915 motherboards for Pentium 4 socker 478'

I did that and found a couple of manufacturers make them. You may find some are mini and micro ATX.

Thanks for the input, pplapeu - but I already bought the $19.99 ECS with the 848P/ICH5 Chipset. Works like a charm! (Thanks, Evilsizer :thup: !). It appears that the Temp Sensors are screwy, but that is pretty much what I expect from a $20 MoBo. Stable at stock speeds, and I loose all SATA if raising the FSB even a few ticks - but oh well ;) . 3GHz "Stock" is plenty for what I need the "Auxillary" PC for, and I already had the AGP Video Card.

What's weird, is that ECS MoBo has a user-definable FSB, and even has a PCI Lock 33.3MHz option, but that apparently does not affect the SATA Interface. As soon as I crank up the FSB a hair, I loose the SATA Drives in BIOS (WITH the 33.3MHz PCI A-Sync Engaged). Anyone familiar with ESC's Overclocking? I am comfortable OC-ing the snot out of my Asus boards, but this ECS sems like it might OC slightly if I could figure out how to lock the SATA Bus.

I'll be building a Conroe rig with a high-end MoBo down the road, so I didn't want to drop any more than I needed just to keep this old 3GHz 478 running. Hard to beat for $20 (it was like $38 with 2-Day USPS and Rush Processing!!!). My other 2 PC's (PC#1 and PC#2 in my sig) are pretty fast - so this is just an auxillary PC.

That ASUS P4GPL-X looks very simular to the "Proprietary" MoBo in my Shuttle xPC. It also uses the 915/ICH6R along with DDR-400 and PCI-X16, but utilizes the 775 socket CPU's... ~$140 was way more than I wanted to spend on this old 3GHz.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks, sephiroth_749. I'll stay at 200FSB. Seems solid to me. I NEVER thought I would buy a MoBo below $100 (More like below $249), and here I spent $19.99 ;) I also bought a Silverstone 120mm fan for $14.99 - 75% the cost of the MoBo :eek: ( ;) )

Back