• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So which C2D board should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sno.lcn

Senior2 Member
After reading some other threads, it seems several boards have issues with ocz ram. However, I'm only upgrading my cpu/mobo and keeping my 800mhz ocz platinum. I plan to purchase the board first and flash the bios with my 930, sell my p5wd2 and then buy an e6600 so it doesn't necessarily have to work with the c2d out of the box, but afaik I might as well go with a 965/975 chipset.
Will I be okay with a ds3?

What are your OCing goals?
How hard do you plan on pushing the chip?
What frequency can you OC your ram to?
Do you plan on overclocking the ram?

Behemoth71 said:
What Ram would one recomend for say the e6600/p5b-dlx combo?

G skill DDR2 6400 HZ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

AND WOWOWOOWO THE PRICE ON THAT HAS GONE UP... i bought mine for 230! but other than that... the ram i stated above is utterly amazing it will do ddr2 1000mhz @ 4-4-4-12 (stock timings) @ 2.1v a rated voltage!!! crazy stuff. i have it in my system... see siggy.

EDIT: ^rrr he beat me to it... gskill is better has the new d9 chips.

nd4spdbh2 said:
EDIT: ^rrr he beat me to it... gskill is better has the new d9 chips.
the c4's use the same d9 chips as the gskills but have epp for ddr2-1066.

greenmaji said:
What are your OCing goals?
How hard do you plan on pushing the chip?
What frequency can you OC your ram to?
Do you plan on overclocking the ram?
For now I'll push it as high as I can w/ my ultra-120 cooling it.
I know the ram will do 900mhz but I haven't pushed it any farther.

At this point, I would recomend one of the newer 975X boards with a E6600 and high end air. Say the DS3 would get ya 520+FSB but thats 4.68Ghz on air, the most you could reasonalby do is bench low 4.0Ghz with cold ambiants pushing the temps and the Vcore pretty hard might get you 3.8Ghz 24/7 tops (and that might take a Vdroop mod).
It makes is silly not to get the best performing chipset, the 975X. You only need about 425 solid FSB 445 would be nice for benching (if you even plan on doing that).
And it looks like your ram will already do 450FSB.. 1:1 you'll be fine.

The new 975X's
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4726612&postcount=4

also do not forget the badaxe II looks to take 2 or 3. i expect it to cost about the same as current badaxe mobo.

so have you choosen a mobo yet?

Id like to see the bio's options on the bad axe II once they are released, I really think you could bench 1.6Vcore solid (no droop) on load with high end air.
Sounds greek, the max Vcore in the beta's so far is 1.6, but the Vdimm options are phnominal to the point of being rediculus :)

greenmaji said:
Id like to see the bio's options on the bad axe II once they are released, I really think you could bench 1.6Vcore solid (no droop) on load with high end air.
Sounds greek, the max Vcore in the beta's so far is 1.6, but the Vdimm options are phnominal to the point of being rediculus :)
omg you missed the thread at xs? well i reposted here:beer: :beer:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=480411
so many option in ths board for cpu-v/v-dimm every other board looks weak now. hell if i could i would build anothe 3 c2d's to play with someboard being overlooked in sense. posted about 2 in another thread green. looks like we will be convsering alot in the coming weeks.:beer: :beer:

Back