• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lower memory bandwidth on a dual core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

So I got my buddys 4200x2 temporarily, and I got it OC'd to exactly what I ran my 3700+ sandy at. Pretty much all the settings are the same.

3700+ sandy=6300 mb/s
4200x2 mach=5500 mb/s

results are according to sandra.

Do dual cores normally run less bandwidth than single cores?

--pak

Well, I believe those 2 chips have the same multi, so I assume you have it at the same HTT as the 3700+ If that is the case, then the RAM should be running at the same speed. If you have it at a different multiplier or HTT, then that is what is causing the problem. Can you post what the case is with that?

If those are the same, the only other issue between the two is the fact that, per core, the 4200+ has half the cache of the 3700+
Theoretically, I wouldn't think that would affect memroy bandwidth, but that test is a synthetic test and isn't soley relying on the actual mem bandwidth (latency and possibly other things play roles in it)

260x10 and have the memory on a divider making it run 216ish.

--pak

pak said:
260x10 and have the memory on a divider making it run 216ish.

--pak
What?
260X10 with a 166 divider = 200mhz
260X10 with a 183 divider = 236mhz..?????????

Anyway, try that with Ssuperpi amd let us know what happens?

Back