• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM to keep for s939?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J2T

Ok, I have question concerning which 2Gig set of RAM would be better. I am currently using a NF7-S and XP2500 and want to upgrade myself to an A64 on s939. Not sure on the motherboard/CPU combo just yet, but I am going to need to sell one of these sets to get me started on the upgrade financially. My question is, which in your opinion (because I have no experience with s939 systems) would be the better set to use for some overclocking....at least some moderate oc'ing, possibly heavy ;)

G.Skill HZ series
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021

or

Mushkin High Performance
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146425

I would say keep the G.Skill. It is PC4000 vs the Mushkin PC3200 and I know from experience that the 2x1024 G.Skill clocks much higher than 2x512 Mushkin PC4000 redline (although at looser timings)

It is really dependent on what CPU and mobo you get. If you expect to have FSB up around 250 or so the use the DDR500 PC4000 RAM. If FSB is expected to end up around 210-220 then you'd be better off with the DDR400 PC3200 stuff. The idea is to get as close to 1:1 on the RAM as possible. So look at your CPU then research the overclocking average for that processor, factor in your cooling and where you think you will end up and then look at the probable divider the RAM will be on based on the above settings.

SO, with good cooling and a 3800X2 you can expect to be around 250FSB. Keep the 4000 RAM and run it 1:1. 4800X2 you can expect to be around 215 -220 FSB so keep the 3200.

yeah, I don't think I could get it high enough to get a true idea on my current setup. I'm leaning towards keeping the Mushkin at this point as I really am not sure how high I will be pushing the FSB.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. First, come to a decision on the CPU/mobo combo then ask some questions in the mobo forum about peoples experience with each of these products. This will give you a better take on which ram you will need. Most people here do not run there 939's at anything near stock 200HTT. Also, there is no big performance penalty for running dividers on an A64 platform, however, some boards work better than others with dividers. Good luck with it. Cheers!:beer:

Back