• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with new ram please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freshmir

Hi, I have a question about ram. I just got a new gig of ram to add to my gig alwredy in the machine. Since I had 1 gig of 2 512 sticks in, thats what I ordered again. The ram is DDR 400 3200. There is 1 problem thought now that I have all 4 of the dimms full or ram I can only run them at 133 stable anything else and my system bugs out restarting by itself or freezing etc.

My question is, would it be possible to set the clock speed at 200 for all 4 dimms and how can I make it stable. I was thinking my processor might be whats messing it up at 200. I have a amd 3200. I believe the fsb is set to 133 not sure. But I read somewhere if I increase the fsb I can increase the memory clock. Not sure about this though. Advice would be greatly appriciated thanks in advance.

Edit: The speed on the ram is 2.5-8-8-4 I could probably oc it to 2-3-3-6. All 4 of the sticks are same brand and pretty much same exact memory. I made sure to buy same stuff.

try upping the voltage to the dimms first then go back and set the speed to the ram at 200mhz. that should fix it, also make sure to use the rated timings at first before going to oc them.
GL

I tried upping the voltage from 2.65 to 2.75 and put it back on 200 that was also unstable.

ArgentumX said:
Try setting the Command Rate from 1T to 2T
with out knowing what the rest of his rig is there is no way to know if the bios has that option. intel boards do not have 1t or 2t settings so this is assuming the rig is amd based.

Evilsizer said:
can you list the computer specs (mobo/cpu/brand ram/psu/ect.)?

cpu is a amd 64 venice 3200, msi mobo, ram is geil,

I put the voltage to 2.70 and i changed my fsb from 200 to 205 and its running stable now for 45 mins. Can someone explain lol? It says my ram was set to 200 and so was my fsb and when I changed the fsb to higher it seems stable now.

Well I went ahead and oced the ram i made it 2-3-3-6 and upped the voltage to 2.75, I set the fsb back to 200 and the ram is at 200. It seems stable now been running for about a hr and everything it good, I hope it stays that way. I'am very confused though because earlier it wasent stable stock at 2.5-4-4-8 and now its stable oced. The only diff that was there was the 2.75 voltage but even before when I upped the voltage on stock to 2.70 it was still unstable.

Is it possible the ram had to break in? Heat up a bit and get worked before it was fine or?

well my best guess is the chipset saw all four dimms being used. that stressed the ram a bit requiring more v-dimm to be stable.

Well after about a hr it shut off again. I noticed it says my memory clock is set to 201 when I check the cell menu. So now I raised my fsb to 201 to see if that makes a difference.

I lowered the voltage to 2.70 from 2.75 and it seems fine now. Might of been too much voltage for the ram. Running now for over 2 hrs without problems.

Well it was running fine for a while prob like 5 hours. Then it shut off I'am thinking the ram is over heating.

no if it shuts off it is something else, im pretty sure on that. as if ram was a problem it would restart not shutdown. check you temps.

Back