• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocked multiplier.... then gone :-(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnclePow

Registered
So I got home today and found that my computer didn't want to boot. I did the usual diagnostic, reset the bios a few times then gave up and figured I was probably dealing with some dead hardware. I came back a few hours later ran through the same process and finally got it to boot. I got into the bios and began restoring my previous settings but found something oddly out of place. On my overclocking menu there was now an option for the CPU Multiplier. It also appeared on the CPU menu (where usually there are 2 useless options). I tried setting it up by one to 16 and rebooted. It worked.... once.... For whatever reason I did a hard reboot while it was still doing the post screen and when I got back into bios, it was gone. This is with the MOBO in my sig below on version 1019. It's been a while since I updated. Has anyone else been able to unlock the multiplier on these ASUS boards?

just updated to 1023, still not there. And it didn't specifically say "multiplier", it was CPU "Ratio", but same difference.

Evidently this was a bad sign. My computer will no longer boot :-( Either a dead MOBO or dead CPU. But I'm wondering if an upgrade to a prescott (478) would even be worth it right now with the Core 2 Quadros right around the corner. I do have other matters begging for my money so the comp is low on the list.

Well if you'd benifit from Quad core wait. But truely what do you do that you'd need quad core for?

Dual core CPU's will more or less do more then enough for you currently if you upgrade to those and in your case a Prescott. This would of course not cost you alot to do that minor upgrade compared to basically replacing the whole entire rig if you wanted something that OCed well.

Well the price drop on the Core 2 Duos is what I was alluding to. But i'm looking at taking on a second job to catch up with my financial situation. Life > computer. Priorities: Job(s)->car->bills->social time->computer->PS3. Or maybe I could be that .1% target demographic Sony intended the PS3 to be targeted at and I'll use it as a PC replacement.... If it doesn't overheat and die.

But enough of tangents. It will probably be a few months before this situation is resolved. And in the mean time i'll likely be helping my dad build a new Core 2 Duo system so i'll get a small taste of what it's like.

Well doubt the dual cores will drop in price when Quads come out. QUad will be more or less a rare market until more common programs actually start utilizing the power of dual cores for the average user.

Even the cheapest 2 Core 2 Duos are extremely powerful and well Overclock quiet well. And truely the only thing that holds these back with even a proper board and ram is heat, not from voltage increases but the clock speed ramping it up.

BTW Did you get a PS3 preorder today? If not im sure you will have a heck of a time getting one now.

C2D is still going to experience some price drop / new models come spring. That's what I'm holding out for, hope I can afford it then. =p

POW, your symptoms, sound like your not resetting the bioses to DEFAULT, prior to making changes, depending on the changes made to the bios, the adjustments you make when you dont set to defaults, are adjusting the wrong things.

when they add or subtract switches, it changes the position of the "registers" or whatever its called, the binary locations moved, and without defaults, your changing some 00 to 01 ?? but its not the right 00 to begin with.

what they say to do in the instructions, is FLash, then on the First boot, reset to defaults, boot (just to the bios), THEN make your changes. also a Jumper clearing would reset defaults.

that is why some people wander around loading bios after bios, not getting anywhere.

Back