• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS More than 512 megs of ddr ram better for Windows XP HOME

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myself and I

Disabled
I am buying some ram today and i can not find a ioda of info anywhere on the net on a benifit of 512 + ram and winxp

Should i get 768 or just 512

someone post who has alot of ram and running win xp

I have 784MB running on my file server with dual PIII 1GHz and I just recently threw the extra 256MB in there. It was running a half gig. Can't tell any difference.

If you're just going to be gaming and surfing and whatnot, then 512MB should be more than enough.

PsYko420 said:
Go all out gank some money from your dads wallet and get like 2gig of ram.

Thats what I'd do.

yes i agree with him More ram the better it will run also If U don't think U can Uses that all up, your wrong I have a linux box that has a 1 gig of ram in there and after a day or two of running there is about 7 % memory free... That is why you see more ram and sticks comming in larger sizes 1 - 4 gig chip

but if you had an operating system like.....say 2k or XP, when you close or stop an action, it gets the memory bac so after two days of running it would nt be neat that free, more liek 70& free, i run WinXp and 256 megs of ram, and so far have NOT needed more, listen to mp3, surf net, burn cds, run seti and plauy games, and it has been enough for me - the change fom 256 to 512 ids barely noticeale. biggest change is from 128 tpo 256 other than that is just excess IMHO

wolfsid said:

yes i agree with him More ram the better it will run also If U don't think U can Uses that all up, your wrong I have a linux box that has a 1 gig of ram in there and after a day or two of running there is about 7 % memory free... That is why you see more ram and sticks comming in larger sizes 1 - 4 gig chip

There's some program leaking memory, VERY badly.

asmodean said:

There's some program leaking memory, VERY badly.

Is that a question or a statement Yes some programs Leak memory like crazy But If U know how to fixe that problem then your in it...

Hack the planet..

If you can go through that Tedious installation then ok, but it copies Windows a lot in its interface and I just prefer Windows, if you have it you never have to worry about incompatibility problems and etc.

Also Drivers?

Did you know that Bill Gates nicked Apple's Mac operating system idea called it Dos/Windows whatever and did it from there.

However Windows is known as the "Original Operating system" even though it ain't.

:eek:

Nick:cool:

nick_cw said:
If you can go through that Tedious installation then ok, but it copies Windows a lot in its interface and I just prefer Windows, if you have it you never have to worry about incompatibility problems and etc.

Also Drivers?

Did you know that Bill Gates nicked Apple's Mac operating system idea called it Dos/Windows whatever and did it from there.

However Windows is known as the "Original Operating system" even though it ain't.

:eek:

Nick:cool:

I still rather have linux running if U want windows just load it off linux it would be alot safer then just running windows. also if U booted to linux then ran windows off linux if U ever crashed windows U just go straight to linux no rebooting the how system... linux should also be coming out with a GUI interface more like windows and old bill knows that and He is mad about the idea and is trying to stop linux... but how can U stop a freeware program I'd like to see bill gates do that if He does I am sure he will have alot of mad linux users ****ed at him and well you already know how easy it is to crash windows just think a world wide view.... Anyway back to subject I would stick with getting at least 512 to 1 gig of ram mainly for the reason is more app coming out will uses memory and the more U have the smother the hole system will run and U can run alot more stuff with no problems..

So any more questions on ram keep the post going, Want to Start another post about windows and linux send me a msg...

wolfsid said:

I still rather have linux running if U want windows just load it off linux it would be alot safer then just running windows. also if U booted to linux then ran windows off linux if U ever crashed windows U just go straight to linux no rebooting the how system... linux should also be coming out with a GUI interface more like windows and old bill knows that and He is mad about the idea and is trying to stop linux... but how can U stop a freeware program I'd like to see bill gates do that if He does I am sure he will have alot of mad linux users ****ed at him and well you already know how easy it is to crash windows just think a world wide view.... Anyway back to subject I would stick with getting at least 512 to 1 gig of ram mainly for the reason is more app coming out will uses memory and the more U have the smother the hole system will run and U can run alot more stuff with no problems..

So any more questions on ram keep the post going, Want to Start another post about windows and linux send me a msg...

Whats you totally NON-BIASED view on Linux?
I've had many pro's tell me (they hate Windows) that Linux is a bit of a pain in the arse, but its free so who's complaining?

I've got a weird system called QNX, what is that?

nick_cw said:

Whats you totally NON-BIASED view on Linux?
I've had many pro's tell me (they hate Windows) that Linux is a bit of a pain in the arse, but its free so who's complaining?

I've got a weird system called QNX, what is that?

if they were pro's then they would say that linux was the cream of the crop. for on linux is more stable then windows yes its alot harder to get the drivers and all the hardware installed but linuz should be making it easyer for the avarage user to start using it.. Linuz and mirysoft hate each other 2 reason. on is bill love money and linux is free so there U go i pick free... seconed is that linux is comming out with a interface that is close to windows so that its alot easyer for the uses, "all of you how like to point and click" LOL. when that happens bill gates is going to be very mad that is why he is trying to stop then from doing that... He know that he will lose money and people...

wolfsid said:

Type free at the prompt and pay special attention to the "-/+ buffers/cache" line. This will give you a better indication of the memory applications are using. I'm sure you'll find that the majority of that 1gb RAM is actually free.;)

First off, wolfsid, please learn proper sentence structure. Periods are our friends. :cool:

Second, the more ram you give Windows XP, the more it'll eat. Its a hungry beast. Keep it fed and I think it'll do alright. However, I would ditch XP and run 2000. Not as pretty, but more stable and faster than XP.

Just get 256 mb. What's the point of wasting your money on 768 megs when you will notice no difference between 768 and 256? I know because I tried. On the other hand if you don't buy your equipment with your own money and your parents are paying for it, then who cares how much it costs because it's not your own money, right? So in that case get 768. But if you're paying for it yourself, get 256 megs because it's definitely enough.

Itchie said:
Just get 256 mb. What's the point of wasting your money on 768 megs when you will notice no difference between 768 and 256? I know because I tried. On the other hand if you don't buy your equipment with your own money and your parents are paying for it, then who cares how much it costs because it's not your own money, right? So in that case get 768. But if you're paying for it yourself, get 256 megs because it's definitely enough.

Wrong, games will be faster with 512meg and Windowds XP flys wif 768MB, and if you do a lot of work at the same time then its worthwhile, theres a little saying

you can never have to much memory, just one of those things:D

Back