• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the proper procedure for installing additional ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnrealAlex

Whats the proper procedure for installing additional ram? Need Urgent Help!

Do I simply turn off my pc and stick them in?
Is there anything I should know or do in the Bios before or after I install the new sticks?

Last edited:
If you are installing exact same sticks then yes, just turn off your PC, plug it out of the power, install and turn it back on.

If sticks are different (different speed), turn off PC, unplug from power, install the sticks, reset the BIOS and turn it back on.

RedDragonXXX said:
If you are installing exact same sticks then yes, just turn off your PC, plug it out of the power, install and turn it back on.

If sticks are different (different speed), turn off PC, unplug from power, install the sticks, reset the BIOS and turn it back on.
The sticks are both PC3200 Cas 2.5, but they are different brand, Do I need to reset the BIOS in this case?
If so how do I do it :(
Sorry :(

You shouldn't have to reset the BIOS in this case as long as the timings and what not are the same.

To reset the CMOS, either use the jumper most boards have or remove the CMOS battery (silver battery the size of a nickle on the mobo) and replace it. This should clear the BIOS.

Guys I need further help. I installed the new ram and CPU-Z says the Channels are Dual. It shows 2 gigs total, and everything is working fine.
However, it shows the timings and speed a bit different. Do I need to do anything?
I attached the timings and speed ss as well(one of each)
Thanks a lot for your help I appreciate it!
Im confused because it says 166 Mhz but it doesnt show 166 in the Corsair Table.

Attachments

• dual.JPG
    dual.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 62
  • table.JPG
    table.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 62
The 'SPD' tab just shows the preprogrammed speed/timing combinations built in to the Ram. These are for someone who doesn't go into their BIOS and set them manually, the motherboard detects 'SPD default' and uses those settings. You can more or less ignore this tab, it's useful info I suppose but noting terribly important.

The 'Memory' tab is what you are actually running. It sounds like you have a mix of memory types and sizes, what are you actually using altogether?

MadMan007 said:
The 'SPD' tab just shows the preprogrammed speed/timing combinations built in to the Ram. These are for someone who doesn't go into their BIOS and set them manually, the motherboard detects 'SPD default' and uses those settings. You can more or less ignore this tab, it's useful info I suppose but noting terribly important.

The 'Memory' tab is what you are actually running. It sounds like you have a mix of memory types and sizes, what are you actually using altogether?
The table.jpg shows the different rams.
One's hynix and one's corsair. Both pc 3200, cas 2.5, ddr 400. Thats all I know pretty much :S
They run well thouh, no problems, everything much faster, bf2142 performance increased by a lot.

Back