• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Notebok Purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ascii2

I remember that, at least a year ago, existed an article on the front page with a guide to purchasing noteboo computers. I am unable to locate the article.

I am unable to locate the article.

Any ideas as to where the article is?

There is a ton of various laptop articles from around April. imho they are too old to be very relevant if you are looking at buying a new laptop today.

I am looking for the article the article that states how to go about finding a bang for the buck notbook computer (I believe the Notebook Forums was recommended in the article).

Soon after the posting of the article, I believe an article was posted on how to maximize notbook computer battery performance.

hkgonra said:
There is a ton of various laptop articles from around April. imho they are too old to be very relevant if you are looking at buying a new laptop today.

I would like to respectly disagree!

My laptops, which I have sold to quite a few Members here, are about 5-6 years old, and STILL work just fine. I'm referring to the IBM ThinkPad T20-23 series. Granted, they don't have stellar gaming capabilities, but then, IBM never did. They will run a DVD, and do basic "away from home" stuff, like you'd expect from a portable or back-up rig.

This being said, they are NOTHING like my new (AW9D Max) rig!:D:D

steve

My laptops, which I have sold to quite a few Members here, are about 5-6 years old, and STILL work just fine.

I agree, anything over 700Mhz and 256mb RAM will do fine for web surfing/e-mail/stuff under XP. But I think he wants to buy new stuff... TechPowerUp review database might have it...

http://www.techpowerup.com

I am looking for a notebook computer, but .

Where may good (accounting for both price and quality) sellers be found?

I tend to not consider a seller if it does not provided adequate information about the products it sells (such as hard disk rotational speed, chipset, and graphics chipset information).
An article was written some time ago and published on the overclockers.com front page with answers to my questions. I fail to locate the article.

EDIT: Also, is there sellers that sell overclockable (via BIOS) notebook computers?

Last edited:
Charr said:
OC on a laptop is a bad idea, as it will drain the battery and produce more heat.

I agree, in theory.

However, most people don't live "in theory."

Most of the time, people run their laptops plugged in. In this instance, with decent airflow, an overclock may be just fine.

Unfortunately, my T2* stuff isn't even overclockable, at all. However, cheap replacement CPUs and HSs from a later model,will give a boost in speed. T20, 21 and 22 models will mostly all run a 1.0 GHz CPU, and the T22 HS will fit all of them, and cool adequately. The T23 will take a 1.2 GHz cpu, and the stock HS will handle it.

steve

Charr said:
OC on a laptop is a bad idea, as it will drain the battery and produce more heat.
Not necessarily, when a notebook computer is running connected AC power source, battery may not be drained. Also, more heat would not be produced after overclock, rather greather heat would occur.

If thermal levels and stability are maintained reasonable, it would be possible to maximize performance and battery life by running overclocked when connected to AC power source, and underclock and undervolted when running on battery (could be set up to occur automatically).

Overclockability is not a must, but the option would be good to have.

jivetrky said:
There's an Extreme edition Merom that I've seen at least from dell. (So you can overclock it by upping the multiplier)
I really am not yet interested in acquiring processors with more than one core CPU cores.

welp, I'd recommend looking at notebookforums.com and notebookreview.com

Both have great info and reviews. (And you should really consider a dual core, once you try it, you will never want single core again!)

What is your budget for this notebook purchase?

jivetrky said:
you should really consider a dual core, once you try it, you will never want single core again!
I have tried a dual core machine before, I still usually prefer one core per die.

A Turion 64 processor is a must for the notebook purchase (only 64-bit non-milticore processor that consumes a reasonable amount of power).

jivetrky said:
What is your budget for this notebook purchase?
I am thinking under $1000, but less is preferred (at the point where bang for the buck is maximized and sufficient bang exists).

Back