• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Missing Fan Temp. Info in Speedfan on P5B-Dlx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Juice_22

Registered
I just installed my P5B-Deluxe along with a fresh install of XP. It works great. But I've had a few quirks. First off I can't see what the Temperatures are in Speed fan. Speedfan only gives me the Hard drive temps. Aida32 only gives me the Board Temps. Its a little frustrating. I'm trying to figure if I did something wrong. In the Bios I get the info, & it really high 50C at idle on a Pentium D930. This is with a Zalman 9500 Cooler. This chip is running 5C higher than in my previous ECS board with a stock cooler! Whats going on.

Another quirck I notied was that Windows installed on my G:\ Drive.

Another quirck I notied was that Windows installed on my G:\ Drive.

look in the Disk manager , if G is your first partition in there, then its still installed on the first partition, it might be the C drive in DOS, but with NT system they can call the drive letter ANYTHING they want, so mabey its G, but it still might be the first drive and first partition.

there is a way to change the drive letters we see in the OS in disk manager, but you cannot change the SYSTEM(active) drives letter, untill you sneak into the registry, and change the mounted volume info.

At any rate, you need to see if its REALLY on the first partition, and just called G, or if its on some partition down the disk a ways.

Most experts would say , ahh it doesnt matter, but they could be wrong some times.
first some really lame stupid software, might expect the system drive to be called c: and install it , or try to install it on c, mabey even fail because it isnt there.
if your system partition is down the disk a ways, then it wont be as fast as it could be, but it aint gonna make that much difference.

ok, so determine what is ACTUALLY there. is it on the first partition, or is it just a letter issue?

if it not on a partition you want it to be on, you could potentially CLONE it, over to a partition you want it on.
if the letter is the only problem, you could change the letter in the registry.

Neither of them things would be nessisary, as it wont make a bit of differance 99.8% of the time.
and EITHER of the changes to make it look right, WILL cause some minor problems 48% of the time, best to do only if you havent installed a bunch of other stuff.
WHY will it be a problem to change?
because lots of things will POINT to the LETTER, not the partition, or the system volume or system paths.
so you would have to change any pointers , in both shortcuts, and in the registry to point to the correct letter. a little search and manually replace.
Partition magic has a letter fixer, its good but not perfect.

only the name has been changed to protect the innocent, its not really an issue unless your anal about your system (like i am) :)

we always have to do the letter fix thing in the RAID system, when you install on a spare drive, then clone to the raid, in that situation, your just trying to keep that letter (c usually) the SAME as it was on the drive you cloned from. keeping the installed letter the same as what was installed is safest and easiest.

there is one other thing that could have happend, but you would have MADE that happen, with NT type systems, or even 98, you can CHOOSE the location to put the "WINDOWS" stuff, BUT your boot is still occuring off of the "Active" drive at boot.
in that situation, its a bit of a mess, because there are parts in the first partition, to boot with, and transfer TO the windows folder on another partition. boot still is based on the ACTIVE partition, but the "system" is tossed on another drive.

Last edited:
Back