• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Question for the OCZ Gurus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArgentumX

Registered
I purchased these ram stick about a month ago
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3200_gold_gx_xtc_2gb_dual_channel

and Ive been having a lot of trouble getting these stick to run as they should.

ASrock Dual Sata2 w/ Vdimm mod and Vcore mod, Bios 2.30
Antec Truepower 2 550w
3700+ San Diego KAB2E is running 287 X 10 stable @ 1.55 volts

Currently I have them running on a 133 divider 2-3-3-5 1T@ 3.0 volts 191 mhz and I am getting about 20 errors in memtest on test #8 around pass 13.

Im wondering what kind of chips are in these sticks.

Should I apply more voltage?

Stock timings and volts are 2-3-3-8 1T @ 2.8 volts 200 Mhz.
I dont think what I have set right now is unreasonable.

I really hope these sticks arent bad :(

I think these are winbond utt-bh5 chips which love around 3.3v but im not sure. Can anyone confirm this?

ArgentumX said:
I purchased these ram stick about a month ago
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3200_gold_gx_xtc_2gb_dual_channel

and Ive been having a lot of trouble getting these stick to run as they should.

ASrock Dual Sata2 w/ Vdimm mod and Vcore mod, Bios 2.30
Antec Truepower 2 550w
3700+ San Diego KAB2E is running 287 X 10 stable @ 1.55 volts

Currently I have them running on a 133 divider 2-3-3-5 1T@ 3.0 volts 191 mhz and I am getting about 20 errors in memtest on test #8 around pass 13.

Im wondering what kind of chips are in these sticks.

Should I apply more voltage?

Stock timings and volts are 2-3-3-8 1T @ 2.8 volts 200 Mhz.
I dont think what I have set right now is unreasonable.

I really hope these sticks arent bad :(

why would you have the voltage set to 3v? you aren't even running these at their rated speed. There is no need for the excessive voltage. Set it to 2.8v

OCZ's EVP says you can goto 2.9v, but again....when you aren't even overclocking them, there is no reason for that.

Set all the timings to stock and the volts as well. Once this fixes your memtest errors, you can start carefully lowering the timings until they are at their lowest while stable.

What I'd really recommend doing is this:

Set your HTT to 260, your CPU multi to 11x and your RAM divider to 166 giving you approximately 204Mhz on your RAM and all your RAM timings and voltages to stock

why would you have the voltage set to 3v? you aren't even running these at their rated speed. There is no need for the excessive voltage. Set it to 2.8v

I had the sticks set at 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, and 2.9.

The lowest voltage being the most unstable with memtest completely crashing on test 8. The rest of the voltages had thousands of errors. 3.0V only had 20 on test 8 pass 13. So it looks like the more voltage the less errors.

OCZ's EVP says you can goto 2.9v

EVP actually states 2.9 +/- 5% and with 5% of 2.9 being .145 that gives me a max of 3.045V without invalidating the warranty.

I actually found out that these are Infineon-B5 chips which have a recommended voltage of 2.6V according to Infineon

If thats the case I must have some bad sticks.

What do you think?

yeah, plain and simple, set your CPU back to stock speeds. Then set the RAM to run at ddr400 (1:1, 200Mhz) Then set the rated timings and the rated voltage (2.8v)

Then run memtest all the way through....if you get errors you have bad sticks

Once you do that, if you get errors then try running the sticks in the other 2 slots in the motherboard and try memtest again. If it errors again you know for sure you have bad RAM. If you want, you can then test each stick individuallly. Test each one and see if one or both or neither pass a memtest

Well I guess I have bad ram. I reset everything back to stock and ran memtest86. I got 32 errors on test#8 pass 1. I really hope the RMA process is not a pain.

Back