• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good news for P5B-Deluxe owners, SpeedFan 4.31 released !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bing

Low Profile Senior
4.31 change log :
- added full support for W83627DHG
- added full support for VIA VT8237A

Now the W83627DHG sensor/IO chip is supported which is used by P5B-Deluxe and other new Asus board as well. Prior to this version, SpeedFan could not detect cpu and control fan properly in this mobo.

To MOD : Feel free to move this if its not suitable here.

What kind of temps is everyone getting. I'm a little worried about mine. According to Speedfan, I'm running at 45C idle running at stock settings with my Pentium D 930 and a Zalman CNPS9500LED with AS5. This chip used to run about 5C cooler on my old board with the stock cooler. What gives?!? I'm ready to return the Zalman & go back to the stock cooler.

uhh so speed fan now for the thing, cool
what does it do on this board? total?
ram temps? HD temps? Voltage regulator temps?

JUICE, at toms hardware they said stock 775 coolers arent really that bad. and you gotta put on something really good, with lotsa fins, or lots of CFM to change that. 45 no biggeee if its already 38* in the case itself?

in the cpu section (here) people are running the conroe2 thing at 60+ as if it didnt matter (eeek) , well me too, but its not the same thing as what you have, it already has a big can on the top of it, instead of direct heatsinc to the core parts.

LOTS of the new cpu fans, and if you include the boards fan adjustements, dont really kick up the speed of the fan untill its needed. so if your getting 45* at IDLE that might be good, if you only get say 55* at full overclocked full load, with the case on. that would be a miracle :)

so when you say 45* at idle, at what speed is the fan running? what is it at load?

they finally figured out that using HLT, scaling and throttling, then toning down the fan when its NOT at all nessisary , is the best of both worlds, as long as it scales up and the fans kick in. unless you wanted to do the liquid nitrogen thing for an extra 20% oc at IDLE :)

can you just be happy that you dont have an AMD :) as they would not throttle down when the temps got to high , they just POP, well, and crackel a bit, and then that smell :)

do you think mabey its not Settled down on the core well enough? making perfect contact? because sometimes you just gotta put it on, then take it back off and SEE if the thermal goop was being smushed EVENLY. all them metal parts can be massaged and shaped into making a better connection where the connection is nessiary.

oh, and if you turned OFF HLT, and you jammed up the power (voltage) , and you locked out the multiplyer, then there never really is an "IDLE" its still spinning its wheels, it just aint going nowere.

Last edited:
bing said:
4.31 change log :
- added full support for W83627DHG
- added full support for VIA VT8237A

Now the W83627DHG sensor/IO chip is supported which is used by P5B-Deluxe and other new Asus board as well. Prior to this version, SpeedFan could not detect cpu and control fan properly in this mobo.

To MOD : Feel free to move this if its not suitable here.

What about the clock. Still no suport. All false readings, CPU and MB temp is wrong.
No hard disk support.

whats the point?

The new update also allows to read better from P5W DH. Now all the voltage readings are accurate. Temps seem to read perfect to. It's not reading core temps but neither does the Asus bios, or any other program besides CoreTemp. I'm digging it.

After installing this board, upgrading from an ECS (POS) board, I also picked up the Zalman 9500 cooler, that the temps would be lower. but after looking around it seems like the P5B in general runs warm. At stock speeds I am around 45C with the fan on low, even O.C. to 3.6GHz the temp goes up to about 48C. I did try 4GHz (idled at 50C) for a little while but brought it back down until I am sure temp reading are good.

Looking at this latest release of Speedfan I have an AUX temp. Which reading is this? anyone else have this reading? And its reporting a temp of 127C Steady. This morning was the first time it went down to 122C I can't figure what reading this is. I'm afraid to leave the computer on for too long hoping that I won't burn anything out prematurely.

boead said:
What about the clock. Still no suport. All false readings, CPU and MB temp is wrong.

For temperatures & voltage, it reads what Asus Probe is reading, no more & no less. So if the Asus screwed up, then so does SpeedFan. :D

Clock support, use ClockGen or SetFSB which is more powerfull, and it seems like the author is not focusing on supporting/updating the clock generator chip tweaking.

boead said:
No hard disk support.

From your sig I believe you're using Intel Raid right, now, even Intel themself couldn't provide the SMART reading since they're blocking it, unless you stopped using raid on your drives, then SpeedFan will report the SMART detail of your drives like temperature, spin down/up time, etc...etc. til you bored. :)

...and finally ....

boead said:
whats the point?

Now look at this olde reliable task manager screen below :
SpeedFan vs Asus Probe II.PNG

See that ? Just shout out loud if you want a laymen term / summary from above screen shot. :D

About those numbers on temperatures and voltages, most of the times they're not accurate since this software just read what your mobo was reporting.
It is the capability to track those changes at the temp/volt/rpm does really matter ! :D

Imo, the most important feature from SpeedFan is the charts, you could look for corelation / relationship in your PC subsystems like the cooling, power suply, mobo capability and etc. Example, temperature trends with cpu load to see if your air flow is really effective or relationship on your 12V voltage when CPU load while linking it to mobo temperature .etc..etcc. and so many other good examples... which is not possible if you're just rely on Asus Probe.

Do you believe you've tortured your whole rig enough with Orthos or Intel TAT ? Trust me, that is nothing and far from enough.

Here, to give you an idea what is the "true" torturing test was, just a simple example, try run "simultanously" this tasks below all together just for a few hours in a properly closed PC case. :D

- Orthos but with normal or lower priority, this for releasing some of the CPU power to below processes
- A "looping" disk benchmark on your harddisk, those poor disks will work really hard while serving this test especially on seek test
- Burn a DVD disc as well, like using Nero DVD-SPeed to find the overburning limit, it won't read anything from your disk.
- Play a looping and small enough multimedia file like song/movie to torture your audio card like enabling your SRS/Dobly/8 channel sound etc..etc. (small means it is small enough that they will be read from disk cache instead of harddisk)
- Copy 'huge" files "between" two external USB/Fireware hard drives
- ... etc

Now see the whole picture where this charting thingee comes handy ? :D

PS: I hate that Asus Probe looks too ! :D

Last edited:
Holy cow probe2 is eating up the ram :eek:

btw.. IE looks low, you must have it open with no webpage loaded ROFL :p

greenmaji said:
btw.. IE looks low, you must have it open with no webpage loaded ROFL :p

That is exactly my point by showing a fresh launched IE, that stupid Probe which does "ONLY" reading/querying values from mobo and displaying it should not exceed that much compared to the one of the bloated software ever made which is IE. Dont get me started by with MS-Office apps. :D

Warm Board

Well I was a little upset that my Zalman Cooler was not effective. I removed it and installed the stock cooler. The oem cooler on my last board (ECS) ran at about 45C. After booting up, Speedfan as well as the Bios and Asus Probe all showed the idle Temp to be 59C! that nuts. And this is at stock speeds. It must be the Temperature sensors on this board. Maybe in the next Bios revision this will be corrected or recalibrated. I put the Zalman back on & am running at 47C that is a big difference. it drops to 43C when I put the fan to silent. I haven't figured out what the AUX Fan temp is yet. I been putting in extra fans everywhere to see where this reading is coming from but nothing.

I use the Zalman, and have an idle cpu temp reading (PC-Probe) of 32 C & M/Bd or 41.

Coretemp has the core at 45ish at the same time. I am really happy with the Zalman, but read a review on a pelt-air cooler this morning that looks pretty nice (except for the pricing) http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/964/

Same here I don't like using the Fanmate. I was originally going to go with the AT model that has the 4 pin connector. But I was an idiot & believed the salesman over at Fry's that the LED model had the 4 pin connector. At least its not too bright, but it would be nice to have the board control the fan speed. It wouldn't make a difference with noise anyway, the Video card fan is my biggest noise maker right now.

I would love to have your temps fritz. After reseating the Cooler & re-applying AS5, my temps are 47C at idle. But this is with the chip oc to 3.8GHz, from 3GHz. A pretty decent jump & I barely have gone up 1C.

Problems to adjust fans

Hi,

I am new to Speedfan and I have a P5B-VM in a Antec Fusion chassi.
According to speedfan it is also the W83627DHG I/O.
I installed 4.31 and disabled Q-fan in BIOS.
Speedfan can detect the fans and the sensors, but I can't adjust the fans..

I attach some screenshots, and as you can see all fans are set to 0 but in reallity they are running full power..

Any ideas? Are there any manuaös? I have looked around. But this release is new, so I wonder if you others get it to work.

My chassi fans are 2-wire without pwm. Can they also be adjusted once I get it running?

Thanks

Attachments

• speedfan.GIF
    speedfan.GIF
    67.9 KB · Views: 4,042
  • speedfan2.GIF
    speedfan2.GIF
    57.1 KB · Views: 9,206
I'm using Speedfan 4.31 on my P5B Deluxe and it cannot control the CPU Fan speed, even if I disable Q-Fan.

Does anyone have fan control working on this board?

Try to change the cpu setting for Q-Fan from PWM to DC since you are using a 3 pin connector. I'm not sure if it works but I'm about to try it.

But otherwise what I'm doing right now is just to plug the cpu fan into a regular 3 pin header and then disabling the cpu fan warning in the bios. That allows me to control the fan speed with SpeedFan 4.31 but the annoying thing is that all the 3 pin fan headers on the board are controlled together. So when I change my cpu fan speed the case fans change with it.

Back