• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps/2 keyboard won't work how to acces bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squarepusher

I have a p5b -deluxe and I was messing around with my computers settings, when the keyboard and mouse stopped working. luckily they are also usb compatible so i can use them in windows but i have no idea how i can access the bios or even reinstall windows now. my usb keyboard doesn't seem to beable to access the bios at all. Luckily i have the bios setup just how i want it with the overclock and all, but I was thinking maybe clearing the cmos would get the ps2 to work again, but if not I'd be stuck with default settings with no way to change them. This MB is only a few weeks old, should i try to return it, I live in Tokyo so it might be a really big hassle. Thanks for the help

there is USB legasy support, and PS2 legasy support, so you should be able to access the bios with either.
mabey it helps to know some things. things that happen to me the same, that could be your issue.
a Keybord cannot be just "HOT SWAPPED" to the ps2 connection, something about its buffers and how it powers up when connected. you must at LEAST have the computer shutdown to "SWAP" a keyboard.
not alwasy so for the mouse, and rarely so for the USB.

so try turning off the whole computer, unplug the thing, put the keyboard in THE RIGHT SLOT) and try it again.
other things that can cause a keyboard to stop responding. Coke in it :) a stuck key, and improper internal case wiring. seen that once, drove people up the wall, they had put the Case lights and switches wires in the wrong place in the motherboard , and it messed up the keyboard.

anyways its probably not the board, there is so many other things it can be.

if it was the board, check for loose soldering or gaps in the soldering under that ps2 connector, mabey something is loose that you actually can see.

oh hey mabey you overclocked the buss that the serial is on, and that keyboard didnt like the timing issues? clearing the cmos would fix it if it was a overclock issues. your going to clear the cmos again sometime , like it or not, so that isnt big deal to test.

Last edited:
Back