• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few questions for Abit AW9 Max users, and others.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Behemoth71

Registered
Abit aw9d-Max:
I'm slowly narrowing my Mobo selection down and I had a few questions to ask about this card. First how's the audio card? Is it taking up cpu resources or does it have a small footprint? Second, related to the first, how are you managing with only one pci card (and what is the pci x1 card used for)? I'm using two pci devices in my build, one SC (if the one on the board gets in the way of performance) and a wireless card. I've been told about usb options (both SC and webcards) but I don't want anything hanging loose around the case (pets and all). So I may need to pass on what looks like a really nice board. So that is why I put these questions to the experts, the users of the board. My present and future specs are as follows (feel free to comment on any of it):

Case: Stacker 830 (Bought)
cpu: E6600
Vid: evga 7900gto (Bought)- (I was an avid gamer before going back to school)
Motherboard: something 975x under $300
Ram: Corsair XMS2 2gb w/ EPP:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145034 (bought)
Sound: m-audio probably.
Power: OCZ 700w Xtreme gamer (Bought).
Cooling: WC and some fans.
Storage: SATA Drive x2

I want a few features pretty badly, Matrix raid, Pci-e (x2 two if physics cards can use them), at least two pci slots, SATA (or II), 975x chipset to make the best of my e6600. As an aside, though not wanting to digress; any really good boards in the pipelines due to release in the next couple of weeks? Thanks all in advance.

-C

Obviously, if you need 2 PCI slots, you should look elsewhere. I use the stock AudioMax sound on mine and I'm perfectly happy. I don't know exactly how much system resources it uses, but it can't be much since this board out performs everything else.

The board has 2 PCI-E X1 slots. These will eventually take the place of the old PCI slots, but not a lot of cards available for them yet. Ageia is preparing to soon release a PCI-E 1X version of their PhysX card.

Last edited:
hmm about the only other boards i see that would fit you are
asus p5w-dh
dfi infinty 975x/g (stuck around 375-390fsb)
intel badaxe II *975*(not out yet)

Yeah, I wouldn't touch the DFI if you're planning on doing any serious overclocking...the Asus P5W-DH and Intel D975XBX2 will most likely be your best choices...both for under $300

If the the pci x1s are going to have cards for them then my problem is solved, I only have the pci wireless card in my possession and the max audio will work until those come out.
Awesome, the physics cards are due for those slots too? I've been a drooling over those since I first heard of them. I'm a pilot w/o a plane, so flight sims are my only outlet, and that card really intrigues me. Anyways, thanks for the info, no whining about the lack of pci cards here, just wanted to know my options, these new board had me a little flummoxed. I'm that much closer to getting a board now.
One more question if I may, is there any reason to wait on the next best mobo, if they only come out in Nov.? I'm waiting on my case right now and so I have been exploring all my options. Overclocking is really my end goal, so the more tweak options the better imho. When's the badaxe 2 out, and whats the predicted price?
-C

Last edited:
Back