• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How fast is too fast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_clap

I recently bought some RAM from newegg.com. I ordered 1 gb in two 512 mb sticks of g.skill DDR2 800. Unfortunately, I forgot to check the CAS latency on them. My intel motherboard only supports 5-5-5-5 or 6-6-6-6. I have 5-5-5-15.

So I'm about to RMA my RAM, but then I get this great idea. Maybe I can overclock it to the values it has to be. I'm no overclocker, so I'm not sure if this would work at all.

The intel chipset doesn't support the latency, so will I be able to use BIOS to overclock the RAM?

Is taking 5-5-5-15 latency down to 5-5-5-5 too much?

If anyone could offer help... I *really* don't want to pay for shipping and restocking and I have a LAN party this coming Thursday.

You've made a mistake somewhere, 5-5-5-5 doesn't exist. tRAS (the last number) should always be higher than the others. 5-5-5-12 or 5-5-5-15 is a common value. Any chipset will support that. So the good news is you dont have to worry.

Oh wow... thanks for that. I was just reading too fast and didn't notice it. So much for not sounding like an idiot :X

Cmon man, overclock, you know you want to. Be adventurous and just bump up the fsb by a couple notches.

You don't have to be a pro! depending on your rig, it can be as simple as just upping the fsb. As long as you don't go playing with voltages, you pretty much can't hurt anything!

Is it really that easy?? ^^ everyone else when they explain it make it sound so damn confusing and like i could kill something by doing it.

Also, is FSB sometimes listed as HT Bus frequency?? (Not HT frequency, I see 2 differnt readings in ntune system info, one for HT Frequency & one for HT Bus frequency)

nTune sais mt HT Bus Frequency is at 1010.59Mhz

FSB = Intel
HTT = AMD

It's really that easy. The confusing 'stuff' explains what you're really doing. Better to know it first.

Back