• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

965p-dq6 vs 965p-ds3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

siavash_s_s

im a noob making my first computer and am wondering what the difference between these 2 motherboards ( 965p-dq6 or 965p-ds3) is and which is better for me. Im thinking ill get.

Intel E6600 Duo2
Corsair DDR2 5 5 5 12 2gb
and probably, if i cant find anything better, maybe someone could refer one, nvidia GT 7900 GFX card.

The DQ6 I believe has more/better features, plus a bigger pricetag. DQ6 has 2x PCI Express X16 slots that support Crossfire, DS3 only has one X16 slot (but 1 extra PCI slot). DQ6 has better onboard audio w/ more features, more SATA connectors (8 on DQ6, 6 on DS3), quad BIOS (DS3 has a dual BIOS), heatpipe cooler on the north/south bridge (probably a little better than the regular heatsinks on the DS3's chips)...

But, both use the same chipset, and are both made to be highly overclockable.

I went with the DS3, because I don't plan on doing Crossfire/SLI for a while longer, and the price was also much lower than the DQ6. Also, I only have 2 SATA harddrives, and my DVD drives are IDE. 6 SATA connections is more than enough for me. On the other hand, the DQ6 has the IDE connection placed better, I really don't like where they put it on the DS3. Anyway, check em out on Gigabyte's website, and compare em for yourself to see which layout/feature list better works for you:

DQ6
DS3

Last I looked, the DQ6 went for around $225, and the DS3 went for around $145 (on Newegg).

And graphics card... Depends on how much you want/how much you can spend. My personal recommendation is the 7950 GT, for the price/performance, I think it's an awesome buy. If that's still too much, I also can recommend the 7900GT, or even lower costing, the 7900GS. If you want the 7900GT, you won't go wrong, it's a great videocard.

Last edited:
Thx, ive decided to go for the 7900 gt because of cost and the DQ6 ( looks very cool compared with DS3 :p), thx again for the help.

Do keep in mind that de second x16 slot is only x4, and when you use any of the x1 slots the second x16 slot can't be used anymore.
This is for the DQ6.

I have it running at home, and it's great!

freshy98 said:
Do keep in mind that de second x16 slot is only x4, and when you use any of the x1 slots the second x16 slot can't be used anymore.
This is for the DQ6.

I have it running at home, and it's great!

Does anything use 1x PCIe slots yet?

Back