• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory timing changes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Volt

I originally posted this question in another thread so as not to start a new one, but someone took exception to that, so here's it's own thread.

I've read the Memory OCing guide by Drisler, but am unsure if I'll see much of a performance gain by changing my timings, and I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. Stock speeds are quoted as 5-5-5-15.

As with CPU/video card overclocking, adjusting the memory timings should be done methodically and with ample time to test each adjustment.

lower figures = better performance, but lower overclockability and possibly diminished stability.

higher figures = lesser performance, but increased overclockability and more stability -- to an extent

tRCD & tRP are usually equal numbers between 2 and 4. In tweaking for more overclockability, lower tRP first between these two

CAS should be either 2.0 or 2.5. Many systems, most nforce2, fail to boot with a 3.0 setting or have stability problems. CAS is not most critical of the various timings, unlike what is taught by many. In general, the importance of CAS when placed against tRP and tRCD is nominal. Reducing CAS has a relatively minor effect on memory performance, while lower tRP & tRCD values result in a much more substantial gain. In other words if you had to choose, 3-3-2.5 would be better than 4-4-2.0 (tRCD-tRP-CAS)

tRAS should always be larger the before mentioned timings. – see below

Memory voltage is currently at 2.2. If you guys recommend lowering the timings, do I just slowly start stepping down from the 5-4-4-15 that it's at now? Such as 4-3-3-14? Or is there another(better) way to do this?

oc1.png

oc2.png

First i just want to say thank you. no one seems to use everest here. but i think your supposed to do it one number at a time. like from 5-4-4-15 to 4-4-4-15, test, lower the next number, test, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try doing what you suggested.

Btw, I like Everest. Great tool to keep an eye on your system. Seems pretty accurate.

Back