• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram running slow, what do I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sigep611

Registered
I just built a new comp using an open box mobo. I'm trying to check everything out to make sure the mobo (Asus M2n-sli deluxe) is ok. I have the following DDR2 800 Ram: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820227126

Using CPU_z I noticed that the ram was running at about 260mhz. I checked the manufacturers website for the recommended voltage (2.0v). I adjusted that in my bios and now it's running at 369MHz. What else can I do? Should I send back the ram or mobo? I appreciate your help!

is the ratio set right? Im always accidently changing it and sometimes its scares me when i notice my ddr400 ram is only running at 100mhz.

I assume it is. I've not messed with it at all yet, so it should be at default.

:welcome:

What CPU are you running. The ram is running at DDR2-732 and it sounds like you have one of the CPUs with an odd multi. It just means you have an easy OC.

edit: It sounds like a 4200 or 4400. Your htt is at 200 x 11 = 2200 / 6 = 367 Ram. Raise your HTT to 218 and you will be at DDR800. You don't need any CPU voltage changes, just leave it on AUTO. Be sure your ram voltage is in the spec. This CPU will do 2.6G easy and as high as 2.8G . You will be at 2.4G and it should be stable,

Last edited:
That worked like a charm. Is it ok to run this all the time? I've never really overclocked my cpu before. I didn't have much lock OCin it the last time I tried years ago. I'll I have much expereince with is overclocking my video card.

That worked like a charm. Is it ok to run this all the time? I've never really overclocked my cpu before. I didn't have much lock OCin it the last time I tried years ago. I'll I have much expereince with is overclocking my video card.

Does this mean there is nothing wrong with my ram or mobo and just involves how my processor works?

Thanks for all the help. I usually learn all I can, then forget it all until the next time I upgrade in 3-4 years!

It's ok to run like this all the time. Just check your CPU temps which should stay below 52C. This slight oc is harmless as these athlons OC easy all you are doing is running it a little faster. I have sitting around me several rigs all running 20-40% overclocked on little to no voltage boost and Ninja or Thermaltake CPU coolers as I like to keep them around 38-48C. Most of my rigs run 24/7 for our folding team, they have all been checked for stability at modest OC.

There is nothing wrong with any of your components, this is just normal math. When AMD put the memory controller on the CPU die, they tied it directly to the CPU clock. This is why current Athlon 64, Opteron and Sempron processors have no FSB and work so well with memory speed. This also results in some odd numbers due to the division with whole numbers. It just takes getting used to it.

Back