• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will it make a diff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigDan3131

Im broke but, the longer I wait the better things will improve.

I have two choices on my mobo's either the Asus P5W64 or Abit AW9D-Max. I will probably end up buying both boards and running E6600's with them. I dont skimp on parts, so by the time I start to buy these and BIOS' have matured will buying the PC2 8000,8500,9000 and up be worth it?

if your doing some extreme overclocking (past 400 FSB), yes, if not. no. or if you just want insanely fast ram.

darkcow said:
if your doing some extreme overclocking (past 400 FSB), yes, if not. no. or if you just want insanely fast ram.

exactly... i mean the DDR 2 6400 (800mhz) ram i have will do PC 8500 specs (1066mhz no prob and will probably do PC 8800 (1100mhz) no prob also.... havnt tried but ppl get this ram to about 1150-1180 ... that gives ya 550 fsb on a 1:1 ratio... and even say with a E6300 thats 3.3ghz ... which is quite alot for a e6300 on air. and if you had an E6600, say like me, with this ram, like me, 550fsb.... if i would be so lucky to even get 445fsb out of my P5W dh.... but 550x9 JEZUS! 4950mhz... that would be insane.

so inother words just grab a good set of DDR2 800mhz ram and ull be set.... oh my ram is the 2x1 gb kit of Gskill "HZ" DDR2 6400

I'm going to use this as an opportunity to ask... with Conroe's, how much does memory performance... frequency/timings matter?

As compared with... AMD 64s... in which it doesn't make a huge difference... and socket 478 P4's... in which it makes a BIG difference.

Timings are not that important. FSB frequency is where it's at. Running 1:1 is not as important and tight timings are on the third place.

FSB > FSB-to-DRAM > timings.

Seems like I saved my money for better stuff. Looks like we will be able to use those faster Rams after all with those Nvidia 680i boards out now.

Mdrei.......your kinda wrong. C2D works way better at 1:1 and some timings work better than others depending on the setup.

Back