• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need clocking tips for mushkin extreme 6400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leojharris

My ram is: 1 gig (dual chips) Mushkin Extreme DDR2-6400 (800mhz) on an Asus P5B Dlx motherboard.

The stock timings listed on the chip are: 4-4-3-10

following setup tested extensively and is stable.

What are some good starting settings for getting more out of this ram?

Here's my current settings:

main_cpu.jpg

northbridge.jpg

southbridge.jpg

adv_cpu.jpg

AlabamaCajun said:
I bet with a little tweeking and a steady hand you could get 3-4-4-10 or 3-5-4-11 out of them at DDR2-850 ;)

thing is ... considering the cpu freq settings above (resulting in DDR2-850), ... as soon as i go to manual configuration of the ram timings and even with the stock settings of 4-4-3-10, things get really wierd. prime95 errors out after 4 minutes, half life lost coast at max settings goes from 120FPS to 45FPS or so.

that's why all my memory settings are pretty much at all <AUTO>, cause changing to manual and entering the default timings whacks the computer out.

can't figure it ...

You are referring to XP2-6400 (996523) correct? Leaving the ram voltage on auto is most likely the problem. Those use Micron D9GMH chips and will scale very well with more vdimm. Set yout timings manually (4-4-3) and try 2.1v for the mem.

Eldonko said:
You are referring to XP2-6400 (996523) correct? Leaving the ram voltage on auto is most likely the problem. Those use Micron D9GMH chips and will scale very well with more vdimm. Set yout timings manually (4-4-3) and try 2.1v for the mem.

mine say 996522 ... it's the black heat spreader version; cost like 180 bucks for two 512 sticks.

anyway ... i think you were right, i'm running at 2.1 volts now and the majority of my problems have gone away. also found that cpu core volts bumped up a notch helped a bit.

as per your avatar ... i do have a lot of questions about the ram and especially bios settings ... will try to keep most questions to the forums though on the chance somebody else has similar problems.

first question:

is there a window to bump the rams volts up over it's max spec of 2.1? is it like a cpu where you can go higher if under circumstances providing adequate cooling?

Ah ok, you have the 1 gig kit. For cooling, I active cool all RAM personally, and it is a good idea especially when overvolting it. While more volts will help the RAM oc further, keep in mind the kit you have is rated at max 2.1v which means if run at higher vdimm the lifespan may be shortened over time.

Feel free to post all the questions you have, there are a bunch of us Mushkin guys here that can help. :)

Eldonko said:
Ah ok, you have the 1 gig kit. For cooling, I active cool all RAM personally, and it is a good idea especially when overvolting it. While more volts will help the RAM oc further, keep in mind the kit you have is rated at max 2.1v which means if run at higher vdimm the lifespan may be shortened over time.

Feel free to post all the questions you have, there are a bunch of us Mushkin guys here that can help. :)

here's my settings currently stable for six hours dualprime95; if you have any creative suggestions for how to better the settings let me know and i'll experiment.

the ram timings tested more stable at 4.4.4.10 as opposed to the stock of 4.4.3.10, so left them.

settings:

cpu freq: 437 x 8 (3.5ghz)
spread spectrum: AUTO
mem volt: 2.1
fsb term: AUTO
NB vcore: 1.25
SB vcore: AUTO
ICH: AUTO

Mem Settings ....

memory remap: DISABLED
mem timings: 4.4.4.10
write recover time: 2
DRM trfc: 20
DRM trrd: 10
RankWritetoRead delay: 10
ReadtoPrecharge: 10
WritetoPrecharge:10
StaticRead: AUTO

That's cool you got your 6400 to do 3500 prim stable. :) Timings look fine, you could tighten trp to 3, trrd to 3, and read to precharge to 5.

Eldonko said:
That's cool you got your 6400 to do 3500 prim stable. :) Timings look fine, you could tighten trp to 3, trrd to 3, and read to precharge to 5.

understood on trrd ... but what does trp translate to?

will have a look at the bios in a sec to see ...

thanks for the tips...

Eldonko said:

i changed to trrd: 3 ; and, read to precharge of 5 ; also, i assumed by "trp" you were talking about DRAM RAS# Precharge ... and changed that to 3 as well.

that means that the general timings of 4.4.4.10 are now 4.4.3.10 ... which is simply the stock timings for my ram.

let me know regarding the "trp" reference you mention.

right now i'm testing via orthos (in place ffts), which i've found is just about the same regarding temps and stability as is a dualprime95 in place ffts test; otherwise, barring some sort of error over the next six hours ... your settings shaved almost a full second off of my superpi score ...

Eldonko said:
cas-trcd-trp-tras 4-4-3-8

okay ... cool ... so my assumption was correct.

right now i'm at:

4-4-3-10 ...

i think that's what you were suggesting i experiment with ...

thanks ... still learning all the terminology and what not. the memory stuff is a bit complex ...

will let you know how the stress test turns out overnite ...

Back