• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Technical reasons to buy RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dexwiz

Registered
Okay I see all these things about clock speed and cas latency. What is does it all mean really? I mean can I just buy anything or do I need to buy very specific ram in order to go in a basic Conroe set up? I don't need to spend hours upon hours changing the settings but I want something that will jive right. BTW, I am talking about an 6600 probally with DDR2 RAM.

You would probably want DDR2800 then if you want the best performance and some room for upgrades in the future.

cas4 with a voltage bump (around 2.1Vdimm) in DDR2-800 is a indicator of good IC's.

A basic Conroe setup (with little to no overclocking involved). IMO Just buy any kind of decent DDR2 value ram. Unless you are overclocking the processor beyond 3 Ghz I really see no need for premium binned modules: ie: Fancy low latency, high frequency GSkill HZ800 or 1000's, Teamgroup 667's, OCZ 800's or 1000's, etc.

If you do feel you will be overclocking your processor a little more than standard. I would have to say at this time price to performance best choice would be either the Black Gskill 800's or the Teamgroup667's.

dexwiz said:
I don't need to spend hours upon hours changing the settings but I want something that will jive right.
Perhaps you would be better off thinking about Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.

Back