• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Melted Memory!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flounder43

Senior Lawyer-clocker
What would cause this? I inserted this into an old pentium for the purposes of getting it running for folding. It started to smell like melted plastic, and you can see why. The computer is fine, and was running totally stock ( a pentium 233) It is an older stick, and I asked my GF about it, and she said the same thing happened to here when she first bought it, and that it why she didn't use it...

One more...Note this memory had never been used, it was new and started to do this... Yes, I plugged it in correctly...

Flounder,

Never seen ram itself get that hot, I've seen ram burn in different locations but never on the center of the ram chip itself.

Seen contaminants adhere to the sticker and short it out and contaminants get into the slot.

Got a question, have you placed another ram module in the slot that that particular ram module was in?

Good thing you didnt take that 'warranty void if removed sticker' off as a RMA is definitly in order after you establish that it was the ram stick that was faulty.

yep, stuck other ram in the same slot, and tried this in another computer. It is strange, but not much ram anyway...

flounder43 said:
What would cause this? I inserted this into an old pentium for the purposes of getting it running for folding. It started to smell like melted plastic, and you can see why. The computer is fine, and was running totally stock ( a pentium 233) It is an older stick, and I asked my GF about it, and she said the same thing happened to here when she first bought it, and that it why she didn't use it...

Looks like what happened to some of my records in the Texas heat. :mad:

I had some old ecc ram that got extremely warm. my alpha pal was positioned just right were it cooled it off enough to keep from blowing up. I got rid of that stuff and bought crucial ram. runs nice and cool.

Oni said:
That has to be one of the most interesting things that I've ever seen.

Thanks, I like to entertain...
I am perplexed. It is a small RAM stick, so I really don't care, but how wierd? It just wants to self destruct when you plug it in!!! Those melted stickers are enough to keep me laughing for a while...

I still don't know what the deal is...I tried it in another comp. and same, melting plastic smell...

Makes you wanna just jump in your car to the local BestBuy to buy that Kingston ram now doesnt it

:p

attachment.php

heres an expanation !

Heres a eplanation. The early SDRAM modules ran at 5v, just like the 72 pin simms, especially in older pentium boards. usually there is a jumper for this to switch it to 3.3v, but usually it was 5v default, if you think about it 5v on a 3.3v stick is gonna kill it. your lucky it was kingston Value Ram. IF you want more ram your gonna have to find the 5v/3.3v jumper or your gonna have to track down a PC66 5v stick, which wont be exactly easy. hope this helps, just dont tell kingston this;)

Try Ramsinks lol :)

That's funny

"Waranty Void if Remove"

hehe I wonder what they'll think if it you say "It melted off is it still good?"

Haha, I imagine most companies would see that stick and say

"well you see, your warranty is voided because the sticker has been tampered with"

That is the kind of S*** I seem to run into, anyway :)

Back