• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick ram!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcll2002

I'm not completely sure which ram to select to go with the Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi and the e6600. Im going to be doing some pretty heavy overclocking. What I need is this:

2gb
overclocking ram
<$250

I was looking at the

ballistix ddr2 800 set and a bunch of other ocz and Corsair kits. lso, i see that the ram config for the ballistix is 128x64. Does that matter? I seem to remember reading something about incompatability with that kind of ram and the p5b.

Im also not sure if i should just get a less expensive ddr2 667 kit with tighter timings or a ddr2 800 kit with looser timings.

What can you recommend that fits my bill?

Thanks!

I bought 2x 1GB sticks of the OCZ gold from Newegg and couldnt be happier!

As far as overclocking goes my other components pitch in the towel long befor the OCZ ram does hehe. They are a few $ more then $250 for a pair but still in the ballpark :)

For the Conroes, DDR2 800 isnt necessary. Only AMD's chips can take full advantage of 800mhz RAM. This is what I have read and its because of AMD's superior memory controllers. I dont really uderstand it, like what if you overclocked 667 RAM on in intel to 800Mhz. what would happen?? Im not dissing Intel, I like the conroes and I am building one right now to sell so please dont say anything stupid back, Im just helping you out.

So dont get DDR2 800, save some money and get DDR2 667.

lol ok. can anyone confirm this?

if i do go with the ddr2 667, should i really go for the 3-3-3-x timings or not bother and just go with the 4-4-4-x?

Get the DDR800 because Intel chips get the best memory bandwidth at 1:1 ratio. Meaning for example my system running overclocked to 720FSB or 180FSB means DDR667 isn't good enough.

The OCZ ram in my sig is 800 and is about the same price. I would go that way but the ram you had picked is good as well. The 800MHz would be a little more future proof.

slower DDR ram is only useful if your NOT overclocking.

but if you are overclocking faster ram is necessary.

AC3421 said:
For the Conroes, DDR2 800 isnt necessary. Only AMD's chips can take full advantage of 800mhz RAM. This is what I have read and its because of AMD's superior memory controllers. I dont really uderstand it, like what if you overclocked 667 RAM on in intel to 800Mhz. what would happen?? Im not dissing Intel, I like the conroes and I am building one right now to sell so please dont say anything stupid back, Im just helping you out.

So dont get DDR2 800, save some money and get DDR2 667.

Once the bandwidth of your memory exceeds that of the FSB on S775 systems you won't see any improvements.

guys the linked above Crucial 10th annyversary edition are the best bang for buck stix by far. deal ends the 31st
they are guaranteed D9GMH and are actually Ballistix with a different heatpreader (I have them and the PCB says ballistix on it.)

people are running these @ DDR800 3-3-3 2.4v and others are running them @ DDR1100+ 5s and 4s with 2v+...
great stix IMO

Back