• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't ger memtest to make a floppy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stoner51

I have been trying for two days. To make a floppy for memtest and get nowhere. I download the dos-win file extract click install, black screen comes up rawrite must be in same directory. any help. fom somebody
steve

Here's a direct link to the floppy download.
http://www.memtest.org/download/1.65/memtest86+-1.65.floppy.zip
For Windows, unzip the package into a directory like C:\memtest, insert a blank floppy into your a: disk drive and run the install.bat file. As the install prompts you, to use memtest directly, leave the disk in the drive and reboot your machine.
Unzip to the C:\ location. It will create a directory called \floppy.
Start > Run... > cmd
^That will start a DOS box. In the DOS box type "cd c:\floppy" (without quotes), then type "install"
That should create the disk. It can't be read in windows so just reboot with the disk in the drive. Make sure your boot sequence in BIOS has floppy first.

still can't do it. Am I just stupid or what. I download to desktop extract, run cd c:\floppy nothing. says not recognized as a command. This s##t is why I have grey hairs should be simple but isn't.

Here's a visual aid. Hope it helps.
Extract to "c:\" not to the default desktop path "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Desktop\memtest86+-1.65.floppy". Then the files will be in the "c:\floppy" directory.
Click the Start button, select the Run..., then type command<enter> or cmd<enter> into the Run box. That will open the DOS window. What version of windows are you using? XP?

Attachments

• memtest.JPG
    memtest.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 133
That's a pretty good screenie above, I think that I'll save it for possible future use. :)

Stoner51,

If you are still having problems ...and you don't mind getting help from a "Gator", maybe this will help.

A while back I posted this step-by-step "guide" for creating a floppy version.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3115172&postcount=21

There is also a similar guide in the same thread on creating a CD version.

Last edited:
Reefa_Madness said:
That's a pretty good screenie above, I think that I'll save it for possible future use. :)

Stoner51,

If you are still having problems ...and you don't mind getting help from a "Gator", maybe this will help.

Reefa,

I think I used your same explanation some time ago. Piece of cake, worked perfectly! It's really no different than making an ordinary boot disk then copying other files that you want to run to the floppy, write protect it and you're good to go.

"I own the fastest digital camera in the world......
It can take a picture of a woman with her mouth shut."

I don't believe it...show me!

To all the gals out there...just kidding. :D

Reefa_Madness said:
"I own the fastest digital camera in the world......
It can take a picture of a woman with her mouth shut."

I don't believe it...show me!

To all the gals out there...just kidding. :D

Can't find it, my wife hid it from me! :D

Reefa_Madness said:

Stoner51,

Nice guide. :)

I created the screenie thinking there are a lot of guys that never had a PC that only displayed C:\>_ (A:\>_ on my 1st work PC) after you turned it on. Ah the good ol' days...

sweet thanks fro everybodies help. I have been having some trouble with my computer need to reinstall winxp. But will wait fo my new 16mb raptor to get here Wed. Once again thanks I can hopefully get it to work now. And save some grey.
no problem getting help from a "gator" since we won. good thing your not a razorback.
steve

I'm hopeful that we'll have the opportunity for a rematch in Hot 'lanta later in the year...until then, to the victor belong braggin rights...and right now the Razorbacks are sitting in the driver's seat on your side of the fence, on our side it is anybody's guess.

Memtest86 and Mersenne Prime Test on bootable CD

if you can burn CD's, check out Ultimate Boot CD.

it has Memtest86, Prime among other useful tools. it runs off your cd ROM, and
doesn't boot your OS. this makes it possible to get a stable OC without risking
file corruption on your hard drive(s).

i use it every time i tweak my OC.

good luck :beer:

Back