• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting 4GB to work in Windows XP with the DFI Infinity 975x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenshin Himura

Registered
So, title pretty much says it all. I am building a computer for my father, who does some sort of statistical modeling. He called for a computer with 4 gigs of memory, and I dutifully got 4 G.Skill 1gig ddr2 ram sticks to go with his e6700 and DFI Infinity 975X. Unfortunately, I will be damned if I can get windows XP to register more than 2 gigabytes of it. I tried researching the problem first, but neither google nor a thread search here or at XS really got anywhere except that I needed a /3GB switch in the boot.ini (which I already had), and some sort of memory hole in the bios. However, the only option that looks remotely like that is "memory hole at 15m-16m," which didnt alleviate the problem and seems more related to the ancient OSes of old which couldnt work with loads of memory. So, I turn to you guys. Hopefully one of you knows whats going on and can help me out

Thanks in advance!

Kenshin Himura

dicecca112 said:
don't install SP2 or run Win2k. SP1 and 2k had working PAE. And I believe most Linux Versions have working PAE
yea sp1 :) sp2 only allows 3gb total, vista uses 4gb as well along with xp 64 just yea limited to software on xp 64 bit =[

Wait.. I've always wondered this:

If XP only shows that he has 3Gb of memory, but he actually has 4, then does that mean that he can only use 3Gb of memory?

So my only option here is to not have Service Pack two? That wont fly to well with him. Are there any workarounds? (and yeah, I do have to stick with XP as far as I know, and XP64 is out as well.)

Thanks for all your help!

Kenshin Himura

Back