• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

corsair XMS + OCZ on A8V w/ X2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dirtymafia

Registered
add 2x512mb corsair XMS to 2x1gb OCZ on A8V w/ X2

Does anyone see a problem adding TWINX1024-3200C2PT which is 2 CMX512-3200C2PT v5.2 sticks that are rated @ 2-3-3-6 @ 200mhz to the following:

OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K @ 2-3-2-5 200mhz
Asus A8V (not A8V-E SE. It's the one w/ AGP instead of PCI-E)
X2 4400+

What is your opinion on mixing those memories?

Do you think the corsair could run at 2-3-2-5 @ PC3200?

Last edited:
threw in the memory.
Changed BIOS settings to 2-3-3-6
Blue screened as soon as logged in.

So setup RAM by SPD.
This set my ram to like 135mhz w/ some stupid timings(don't remember) and set 2T.

Is it a limitation of my board to need 2T for 4 sticks of ram? Does 2T hurt performance or what?

What memory would you recommend (1gb dual channel) for running with this OCZ memory to accomplish 2-3-2-5 @ 200mhz 1T?

I really would like 3gb or RAM in order to get more vmware PC's going @ once.

Thanks.

Mate, unfortunately, this board does not take kindly to sticks without the exact same SPD info. So, you may be able to run a max of 4Gb only with 4 x 1Gb sets, preferably from the same manufacturer. :(

Could you recommend me a board that can do what I want?

I would like to stick with an AGP board. So if you know of an AGP board that would do this recommend that first. If you don't know of an AGP board for this let me know what you would recommend for PCI-E.

No need to overclock at all, so I don't need anything stupendous.

Thanks!

Revsion 2.01.

Budget..eh, depends. Not really a set budget (this computer is @ work). But I would like to not spend a whole lot, and I would rather not re-purchase the 2gb I have. Just looking for my options.

If it is a work related computer and you don't want to buy more RAM, I can't really suggest anything without knowing what chips are on both sets. If the chips are identical, you could use Typhoon SPD, to copy the SPD from one set to another. It is very risky though.

Are you saying my options are:
1. Buy all new ram. Taking out the ram I have now.
2. Use typhoon SPD.

If #1, what memory would you recommend.

Last edited:
When the A8V was around, 2Gb kits were not available, so anything I recommend may not be suitable, as I have had no experience with a 2Gb kit on an A8V. Also, most of the superb 2Gb I would have recommended seem to have been consigned to the product EOL (End of life) bin by the respective companies.

On newegg, these are the kits available:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2107965+1052308477&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=147

Since I have not seen any recent results with these kits, I'd suggest you look for support-options in case something goes wrong. So, I'd recommend OCZ, Corsair and Patriot made modules. These companies have very good customer support.

Sorry if I've not been of much help here. :(

So upgrading the board to something like an Asus A8N-e or A8V-e or anything else would not help with this issue?

I recently got a PCI-E video card that I can use.

I am willing to buy a different 1gb kit of memory.

Back