• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Timing Terminology Confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I just replaced my existing memory with a new Crucial Ballistix kit containing two 1 GB sticks of DDR500, PC4000 memory. This memory is also advertised at 3-4-4-8.

Am I correct in assuming that 3-4-4-8 means the following?

CAS Latency Time: 3
RAS to CAS Delay: 4
RAS # Precharge: 4
Cycle Time: 8

I am questioning this becauase the bios in my Abit mobo lists the following in the order shown:

CAS Latency Time: 3
ACT to Precharge Delay: 7
DRAM RAS # to CAS # Delay: 3
DRAM RAS # Precharge: 3

The numbers indicated above are the automatic SPD settings.

Since the the order and terminology used by the bios is apparently different from the "standard" notation, I want to be sure I am properly setting these parameters. I also want to verify that "Cycle Time" is the same as "ACT to Precharge Delay".

I am running a 250 MHz FSB. With my old memory I used a 5:4 ratio to prevent overclocking the memory. If I try overclocking the new memory with a 1:1 ratio, the machine eventually locks up. I suspect this is due to the faster SPD bios automatic settings and the 3-4-4-8 specified for the new memory. Before I start changing these setting I want to be sure I know what parameters I am really changing.

You are correct on the first one. On the 2nd, in the ABit bios is there another timing labeled trcl, this would be it. If you do want to get that memory higher, it might run 3-4-4-10 or 3-5-4-11 both giving more time for the precharge cycle (charging the cells) and the 5 extending the time between a row change and read/write burst (column access). What happens with memory when you increase frequency the cycles have to get done faster. Electricty flows at a certain rate depending on the voltage and resistance of wires and semi conductors. With DRam, it's all stored in capacitors which require a refresh every so many milliseconds or the caps discharge, refresh fills them back up, The TRCL or Cycle time is the length of time needed to get an entire row filled. If a Latancy number specify wait cycles then upping the frequency or pulse rate per second, shortens the time period between the pulses. Time is constant and frequency is variable but electrons start still constant. Hence, upping the voltage forces in electrons at a higher rate. Like a crowd of people, electrons also generate more heat. Also like people, get too many in the same space ans things get ugly, electrons take the first path out and if too many follow, something gets burned. Think of it as a riot!.

Back