• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best OC ram for INTEL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cheece2001

whats the current best ram for ocing for the intel platform. i'm really out of date with things these days. its been like a year or 2 that i haven't been keeping up with electronics. last i remember was that the g.skill memoryt was the best for ocing on AMD. whats the best now for AMD and INTEL

Kingston, Corsair, somthing with CH-5 chips, but if your looking at 2x1GB, thats a different story.

wowza said:
Kingston, Corsair, somthing with CH-5 chips, but if your looking at 2x1GB, thats a different story.

Oh sure! That's what I'm looking for! :)

Why is 2x1GB a different story? (and what's good in that size?)

Thanks!

Adak

Adak said:
Oh sure! That's what I'm looking for! :)

Why is 2x1GB a different story? (and what's good in that size?)

Thanks!

Adak
2x1GB uses different chips that don't clock as well as 2x512, they run looser timings at the same FSB's than 2x512.

Probably some of the older OCZ's, Corsair XMS, and Kingston HyperX is what you should look for in 2x1GB for intel's.

For Intel based rigs, not running at 1:1 incurs a performance penalty unlike the AMD case, were the RAM is always on a divider. So, super high clocking stuff like TCCD are simply not the best option. For a 2 x 512Mb set, I would pick up some good 'ol BH5, along with an OCZ DDR booster which costs about $25.

Good luck man!

Super Nade said:
For Intel based rigs, not running at 1:1 incurs a performance penalty unlike the AMD case, were the RAM is always on a divider. So, super high clocking stuff like TCCD are simply not the best option. For a 2 x 512Mb set, I would pick up some good 'ol BH5, along with an OCZ DDR booster which costs about $25.

Good luck man!
BH-5 on an intel motherboard is a bad combonation, unless you want to do vdimm mods and VTT mods. Not to mention, the booster is only compatible with a select few boards. Your better off getting some CH-5 that will run 2-3-2-6 timings up to 270 with around 2.9v. BH-5 doesn't clock as high, and takes a good 3.2-3.4v to take advantage of the tight timings. BH-5 is better for an AMD running a stock multi, with a DFI board that can give up to 4v of vdimm.

TCCD, what's wrong with that? If you have a high clocking P4, that's what you want. Because Intel's don't give the volts for many other chip options, TCCD is what's left.

I have had the exact opposite experience. Geil CH5 not clocking as high as Mushkin PC3500's. TCCD shines when you scale in sync with FSB. It beats BH only at higher frequencies. BH is a 150 nm process, where as CH is a 130 nm. From what I have seen, CH flaked out on me at higher voltages than BH.

TCCD has compatability problems with older Intel boards. Several members on these very forums can attest to that. Other options available are Hynix and possibly Micron (I have no experience with this).

Super Nade said:
I have had the exact opposite experience. Geil CH5 not clocking as high as Mushkin PC3500's. TCCD shines when you scale in sync with FSB. It beats BH only at higher frequencies. BH is a 150 nm process, where as CH is a 130 nm. From what I have seen, CH flaked out on me at higher voltages than BH.

TCCD has compatability problems with older Intel boards. Several members on these very forums can attest to that. Other options available are Hynix and possibly Micron (I have no experience with this).

CH-5 isn't made to go over 3.1v, if your pumping more than that, it's really bad for the chips, so I'm not suprised you ran into problems. My friend tried to use some Kingston HyperX CH-5 on his s939 DFI Lanparty board, and killed his sockets. Really isn't made for AMD in the first place. For BH-5, it's great stuff, i'd have to agree, but it's really not made for these intel boards with a max of ~2.8-3v of vdimm. The booster is really a hit or miss situation, if it works for your board in the first place.

I see what you mean by the TCCD, but it's a perfect fit, because it will run nice 2-3-3-x around 235 and 2.5-4-4-x @ 275+

I'd skip over micron (value) or Hynix (acts like CH-5 but runs looser timings)

The best overclocking ram for current Intel systems (DDR2) seems to be anything with Micron D9 IC's on them. Sort of like a new BH-5, they like some extra vdimm too. G.Skill, Team Group, Crucial, Corsair all have D9 offerings.

Does OCZ have any D9?

JLK03F150 said:
The best overclocking ram for current Intel systems (DDR2) seems to be anything with Micron D9 IC's on them. Sort of like a new BH-5, they like some extra vdimm too. G.Skill, Team Group, Crucial, Corsair all have D9 offerings.

Does OCZ have any D9?
Yes, OCZ's Platinum line is D9's. You can tell because their part # ends in 2GK (meaning they have the D9GKX chips)
link

micronpy7.png

roffle, any other company make chips for DDR2? (except for the chip that samsung makes)
Also, Loki, what's the difference between Micron D9GMH and the Micron D9GKX?

wowza said:
roffle, any other company make chips for DDR2? (except for the chip that samsung makes)
Also, Loki, what's the difference between Micron D9GMH and the Micron D9GKX?

About $150-$200 bucks

But seriously
D9GMH : 333MHz C5 1.8V Micron certified
D9GKX : 400MHz C5 1.8V Micron certified
8000 = D9GKX
6400 = D9GMH

Higher speed bin out of micron's fabrication,so on average, it *should* perform better than GMH

Also GMH should be better at CAS3 while GKX should be better at CAS4

Bottom line both love Voltage, If your not sure which D9's you have and your willing to remove the Heatsink you can check Here

Personally I could not see myself spending the extra$$$ to get 20-50mhz at the same voltage when you can just put a fan blowing on them and crank the v.dimm.

Back