• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Combining different versions of ram? Combining different brands of ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

Right now in my box I've got 2x512 sticks of OCZ pc-3200 plat. series version 2
I want to throw another gig in there. Only problem is no one sells version 2 anymore. Zipzoomfly sells version 1. The CAS timings are a hair slower, but that's it. How should I go about this? Just relax the CAS/RAS timings and be ok. Does anyone know if version 1 is TCCD? Or should I just get another brand of ram that has TCCD and has the same timings. Thanks... BTW, this is DDR1.

To answer your questions about TCCD or not, look at techPowerup's database here. You shouldn't have any problems if you mix or match brands or timings, as long as both sticks can run the timings you set them to.

The Platinum Rev 1 are not TCCD & don't overclock very well at all. There are two versions of the Platinum Rev 2, v1.0 and v1.1. If the label has a v1.0 or no ver# they are TCCD. If there is a v1.1 on the label it is TCC5 which is very similar but may affect your overclocking. If they run at 200MHz - not a problem, mix-n-match is fine. Check the classified here at OCForums. I got a great deal on another 2x512 Rev2 v1.0 set & the 4x512 runs great (243 MHz 2.5-3-3-5 on an Intel platform).

Back