• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Start up error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

hey guys my buddies computer has a problem when the PC starts up, it goes to an HP screen has a long beep like beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. I told him thats its a memory problem. Is this true?

1) Open up the case, blow out the dust, reseat the modules, try again.

2) Run Memtest86, you can run it off of a CD, I know Tmod's DFI BIOS Flash CD has Memtest on it. You can find it Tmod's BIOS Flash CD. If Memtest86 finds errors on stock settings it may be time for some new RAM. Hopefully not though.

3) Good Luck!

If there are no errors with Memtest (Run lots of passes, leave it on overnight)
then it may have to do with something else, though the beep code leads me to believe that it isn't so.

theres only 1 stick. if i downloaded this off my PC, will this screw up my PC? can this fit on a floppy?

its fine dude. it cant screw my PC up right? noob question how can you make a floppy bootabble something with format right?

WeezleXX89 said:
its fine dude. it cant screw my PC up right? noob question how can you make a floppy bootabble something with format right?

No worries bud. It cant screw up your pc it runs in dos mode. Pop a floppy into your A drive and right click, click format and it will give you the option to make it a bootable disk. After the format add the Unziped/decompressed memtest on the floppy.

Last make sure you have your A drive as the first boot option in the bios.

Last edited:
well heres some bad news guys. we bought the new RAM same kind everything and it wasnt the issue. I actually went over and hesrd the beep code it goes like this. beep, beep, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. and keeps on going vever stops. I think its a mobo issue.

WeezleXX89 said:
well heres some bad news guys. we bought the new RAM same kind everything and it wasnt the issue. I actually went over and hesrd the beep code it goes like this. beep, beep, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. and keeps on going vever stops. I think its a mobo issue.

Sorry to hear the bad news.

its ok it not my PC even though I am having problems with my motherboard. my friend should just learn how to use one

Back