• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Career and College Search

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

archangelgabe

I, like so many others, are at that crossroad in life where you gotta chose what you're going to do.

I have mixed feelings about what to push towards. On one hand I'm very good at photography, photoshop, and advertising art. Then again, I love computers and technology.

A career photographer is out of the question, even the best photographers in the world are unemployed half the time. Unless they take up crappy stock photo jobs, or work for newspapers n stuff.

Then there's an IT consultant, lots of money, but there are tons of people more qualified.

I'm not worried as I can always go to a community college or online course, get lots of certifications and do repair. Bleh...

I'm trying to find a good college for technology, learning about computers, and maybe tell me about your experiences?

Thanks in advanced.

The only thing I can tell you is that your career does not have to be based on your degree. I have an accounting degree and I have never prepared a financial statement or done any other accounting work in the real world. I am a Logistics professional. Study something that interests you and then look for a job in a related field. In my case an accounting degree is much like the universal business degree. In something like electrical engineering you could go into design, sales, training, etc. What I am trying to say is that the degree you get will shape your career but in no way define it.

Have you ever considered Graphical Design?

orion25 said:
The only thing I can tell you is that your career does not have to be based on your degree. I have an accounting degree and I have never prepared a financial statement or done any other accounting work in the real world. I am a Logistics professional. Study something that interests you and then look for a job in a related field. In my case an accounting degree is much like the universal business degree. In something like electrical engineering you could go into design, sales, training, etc. What I am trying to say is that the degree you get will shape your career but in no way define it.

Have you ever considered Graphical Design?
What is a "logistics professional"?
I'm applying to colleges this month as well. I'm kind of scared because I feel that if I don't get into a good college I'll be poor for the rest of my life. I'm hoping to major in business and minor in political science or engineering. I excell at math and science but my dad's an engineer and he says it's not worth it to become an engineer because its so tough.
I'm so scared :bang head

Well, I have worked for a Mojor Retailer on the distribution side in the past. Now I work for a Tech. Company in the warehousing operations. Basically, I do what is necessary to ensure we are shipping at the best price that meets our customers needs. There are many other things involved but that is the core of my job. I manage people, processes and exceptions.

The school is not that important unless you are looking at Ivy League or want Engineering. I went to Georgia Southern University. Not a large/prestegious school by any means. I am not poor (not rich either).

Some good advise orion! I'm currently studying in mechanical engineering (junior year), and I have to say that if you really want to be an engineer and are willing to work for it, then it isn't too bad. I work every other semester for a tobacco company (not my field of choice at all) and do essentially industrial engineering. I can testify that your degree doesn't have to define your career... tho you shouldn't get a horticulture degree and want to work in chemical engineering either.

This is not the proper section for this discussion. Once you get 100 posts you can continue it in General Discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back