• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone notice memory price spike at crucial?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tithulta

The last stick I bought cost me a whole $29 (week or so ago)and I went over today to order another stick and the price for the exact same stick is now 40.13! I'd heard that the prices were likely to increase as christmas got nearer, but I wasn't expecting $11 spike so soon. I felt I could afford the $29 stick, but now I'm not sure I should buy it even though it's just $11 more. Sigh...new I shouldn't have bought food with my last pay check ;) Oh well. Did anyone notice when the increase began?

They were just recent...I noticed too.

Went to check on a couple of 256MB DDR ECC DIMMs for the dual AMD system I'm starting on next month and they were $47...an even bigger increase.

I'm going to wait until after X-Mas since I won't have all the parts to finish it until then anyway. Should be back to normal by then...I hope.

still about the same for price for ram for my motherboard. maybe they are short on the type of memory you bought.

eeek i was just going to upgrade to a ddr motherboard too... (only because my old SDR mobo died) im kinda straped for cash at the time because i just spent my last shillings on an entire system overhaul (only to find the mobo dead... mer) are you guys sure the prices are gonna drop again after christmas? cuz i really need a new mobo (ddr preferably)

check some of the smaller vendors or crucial ram(i.e. not crucial, they still should have good prices). Use anandtech's deal to get an extra 6% off. you can click the banner at the top of Compuwife's http://www.compu-geeks.com site to get an extra 10% off of RAM from crucial.

It was in the news not too too long ago that the factories were cutting production of ram chips.

crucial isnt the only place to buy ram. anyways if your not going to push a system to its limits then get micron ram or generic stuff.

like I said sdram for my board is the same price now as it was when I bought it two months ago.

gues I'll stop wanting broaded based opinions and post in the correct forum. I dunno how many people check out all the different forums and I really thought this was a topic worthy of general discussion since it is just a FYI on the price increase. Oh well...

Since the TigerMP can't really be overclocked well I'm just going to look for the cheapest registered DDR I can find. I see alot of posts over at AMDMB.com citing problems using Crucial in it anyway.

It will still go in all of my other PCs though...stuff has just been too good to me even if they did hike the prices a bit.

Jon said:
Since the TigerMP can't really be overclocked well I'm just going to look for the cheapest registered DDR I can find. I see alot of posts over at AMDMB.com citing problems using Crucial in it anyway.

It will still go in all of my other PCs though...stuff has just been too good to me even if they did hike the prices a bit.

If you think Crucial is high, wait untill you see what Corsair registered DDR costs. When I bought mine, it was about double the Crucial DDR reg.

just and FYI the price had increased again :( The same 256 mb chips I bought for ym 2 signature systems is now going for $49. i paid $35 and $29 for my 2 sticks...I guess I'll leave my 3rd system off til next spring ...with luck prices will ahve become stable and drop again...by then I outta be able to afford a sub $100 amd athlonXP ;)

its a good thing i stocked up some extra ram when the prices were low ... anywayz, the prices should settle down after the holidays i think

Back