• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature Probes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KG_AGCent

So I got a few of these to measure temps around the case. I have an RBX 775 water block for my CPU (E6700) and am wondering... can i just put the probe between the cpu and block making sure its doused with thermal paste or will that hurt something?

KG_AGCent said:
So I got a few of these to measure temps around the case. I have an RBX 775 water block for my CPU (E6700) and am wondering... can i just put the probe between the cpu and block making sure its doused with thermal paste or will that hurt something?

I had one of those. You cant put any kind of pressure on it WHATSOEVER or it WILL break.

Never put anything between your cpu and its heatsink but thermal paste. Even a very thin thermocouple will cause terrable contact and bad temperatures.

You can tape/superglue the probe to the SIDE of the core/heatspreader, just be very sure it doesn't keep the heatsink from making proper contact on the cpu.

I have the same probes in my system to take temps for CPU, GPU, and Ram.
For the CPU I used AS Alumina(sp?) adhesive to stick it to the side of the integrated heat spreader and it works like a charm. I did the same for the GPU, and for the Ram I just stuck the probe in the heat spreader and hoped I made good contact.

Back