• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better mounting screws/springs for TDX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Well I'm finally trying to tweak my setup again. I've had my TDX for over a year now, and what always bugged me was the springs and screws that dangerden supplied. When I tighten them they bulge outward instead of compressing, so I don't think I'm getting the full pressure on the block. I noticed that if I tighten the springs every now and then, the temperature drops 1-2C, so maybe better spring/screw combination would help. Have a X2 3800 at 2.74GHz with 1.55v, but I notice temps are recently reaching the mid 50s at full load FAH (is that normal for the X2? Using Aqua Xtreme 50z and 302 heatercore with 2 fans shrouded pushing and one non shrouded pulling, room temps ~27C) Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tipycol

Are you useing the nylon washers with it?
On a socket A version, it has 4, but I think on the 939s, you only get 2.
So you could, goto a hardware, or autoparts store and find 2 more springs that are stronger but of the same size and not outrageously strong. Or order 2 more from DD and twist them up in the others.

You could also reapply the thermal paste if you havent done that in awhile.

Just my ideas....

Don't recall nylon washers with the block. Just two screws, nuts, 2 plastic washers, the springs, and 2 brass colored things to tighten the springs. Suppose I could look around the hardware store for some replacement ones, just wanted to know if anyone has done it before. Also, where is the replacement mounting from dangerden? Can't find it on their site (not that I'd like to buy from them again anyway, was pretty disappointed after using Cathar's mounting system back on a whitewater block)

Thanks for the tips
Tipycol

Tipycol: but I notice temps are recently reaching the mid 50s at full load FAH

My temps run in the low to mid 50s also when folding proteins.

Have you checked to see if you are getting a buildup of crud (algae) inside the cpu water block or the radiator? This also can cause a slow rise in water temperature over time. I just flushed my system out and the temperature dropped nearly 8 C. The Swiftech Storm holes were plugged as well as some of the radiator cores. Also, the hoses were lined with algae.

The drop in temperature didn't last long though, a week or so. The algae from inside the hoses broke loose and clogged some of the waterblock holes again. I probably should have replaced the hoses.:bang head

Last edited:
CJ-5 said:
My temps run in the low to mid 50s also when folding proteins.

Have you checked to see if you are getting a buildup of crud (algae) inside the cpu water block or the radiator? This also can cause a slow rise in water temperature over time. I just flushed my system out and the temperature dropped nearly 8 C. The Swiftech Storm holes were plugged as well as some of the radiator cores. Also, the hoses were lined with algae.

The drop in temperature didn't last long though, a week or so. The algae from inside the hoses broke loose and clogged some of the waterblock holes again. I probably should have replaced the hoses.:bang head
4-5 drops of Povidone Iodine or 1 drop of aquarium algaecide will prevent this.

LiveSideways said:

Note: This hardware kit differs from Danger Den's standard Athlon64 (S939, 940, 754) mounting hardware in that it does not include Danger Den's heavyweight springs.

Hmm I wonder if those heavyweight springs are the ones I need

CJ-5 said:
...Have you checked to see if you are getting a buildup of crud (algae) inside the cpu water block or the radiator? This also can cause a slow rise in water temperature over time. I just flushed my system out and the temperature dropped nearly 8 C. The Swiftech Storm holes were plugged as well as some of the radiator cores. Also, the hoses were lined with algae...

Yea, March was the last time I cleaned the setup. Hard to find all the time though nowadays (clean, dry, leak test, reattach).

Back