• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freq v. Timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First of all... why the hell are you even thinking of a single channel stick of RAM??!?!? Single channel is a lot slower then dual channel.
I recommend That 2Gb kit, you won't regret it.

No, no, no, there will be two of each stick. Only difference is the timings and frequency, the damn things even have the same heatspreader :O.

Charr said:
No, no, no, there will be two of each stick. Only difference is the timings and frequency, the damn things even have the same heatspreader :O.
2 of the same thing will not magically equal dual-channel unless you mod them and force dual channel mode.

That is a very good 2Gb kit FYI. DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 is soo fast that it'll be able to saturate the memory controller unless you have it running at 1:1 ratio.

Edit: Let me find you a more suitable Kit. BRB

Edit: Here, it's cheap, and it'll work just fine. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820148017
You proably will never have a use for DDR2-800mhz unless you're into overclocking alot. Otherwise, get the 2Gb kit you posted.

Last edited:
You don't need to buy a dual channel kit to run dual channel. If you were to buy two separate sticks, they would run fine in dual channel.

What downer said.

My sig rig is running two individual sticks of ddr2 value ram and it works just fine in dual channel.

The purpose of a dual channel kit is to get two sticks that have been more closely matched in performance. Not every stick of memory is the same when it comes off the assembly line so they are tested and sticks of similar performance are paired and sold as kits.

To run dual channel, all you need is two of the same sticks, I know they don't that they do not have to be in a kit.

I am going to go with the 800MHz RAM for overclocking an E6600. Thanks for the help!

Yes, Frequency offers a greater perfomance delta than timings do. Just thought I would answer the presented question. In fact, I believe both MaximumPC and CPU magazines published articles on this very same subject recently.

I got my OC on my CPU running my RAM at DDR2 890Mhz right now with my timings down to 5-4-4-10 rock solid on Super Pi. Freaking fast. Once I get my damn OC temps figured out and get to 2.8Ghz, I will be at or darn close to 1000Mhz, but I might have to bring the timings back to 5-5-5, hopefully not because I like having decent timings with fast frequency.

Last edited:
I think there was a thread here where someone benched both high frequency vs. low timings and got it within only 10 pts on 3d mark 06 i think

Back