• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are RAM prices increasing? Will they continue to increase?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jwwpua

Why are RAM prices increasing? Will they continue to increase? Is it better to buy now rather than wait?

thanks

There were some threads like this before. It may be because some companies are producing flash memory, and maybe because resources are spread thin, because right now, companies are trying to produce both ddr and ddr2.

Throw in new AM2 and Conroe systems causing a buying frenzy. RAM chips are traded as a commodity unlike CPUs this works about the same as petrolium causing prices increases just by one company sitting on product just to drive prices up and sell higher. Although a lot of mobos still support DDR1, it's rare to find the good OC stuff anymore. "Money talks, BS walks"!

Merlin7777 said:
Prices are scheduled to begin normalizing this month, with decreases coming in December and January.

I wouldn't use the term "scheduled", because that's misleading. They are expected to decrease, but market demand will determine that.

Personally, I hope prices remain HIGH :santa:

Neither Conroe nor AM2 CPUs cause a buying frenzy for RAM. Vista is however: OEMs need to build their X-mas PCs right now, and they all need to be "Vista ready" to be saleable.

Which is why I'm not sure why RAM prices are supposed to go down in the immediate future.

Well, i can wait for them to drop. I wouldn't mind adding another GB, but only if the price is right.

I remember a Time when memory prices increase more then double... They blamed it on a fire in Japan or some other Asian country...

Well they faced an anti-trust (look under Computer Manufacturing) lawsuit brought on by the old Attorney General Eliot Spitzer. He is the old one, because we (New Yorkers) just voted him in as the Governor of New York. Thank God...

Back