• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 Tweaking Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Folks,

I have not seen much activity on the DDR2 font out here and on other forums. I hope this thread will serve as a starting point to shre ideas and tweaks. Stability tests are a bonus, but not really required. A general understanding of DDR2 timing is all I'm after.

Both Intel and AMD are welcome. :)

My system:

Code:
MB: ASUS P5-W DH Deluxe 975x
BIOS: 1305
CPU: Core2Duo E6400 @ 3.44 GHz (430 x 8)
DRAM: OCZ Gold PC5300 (OCZ26671024ELEG)
Chips: ???
VDRAM: 2.15 V (needs to be optimized, a bit too high)

Baseline:

baselineej8.png

TRP=3 yeilds a big jump in BW (not the least surprising, but I threw this in for completeness)

trp3zx9.png

TRAS Dropped to 12 from 15 nets a few BW points as well.

tras12ud6.png

Dropping RMS to 3.9us from 7.8us reduced BW

rms39uspe5.png

trfc = 20 from 26 nets a few more BW points.

trfc20ea7.png

I'm going to update this once I test the other minor timings. Changing tRTCto 3 results in an instant reboot. :)

Last edited:
This is great, Super Nade! It's just, I have dial-suck so, ya. I see there isn't much you can do about that, I am just saying. But I will definetly be watching this thread. Once I build my rig, I will contribute as well.

Speaking of DDR2, lets say i want ram that will take an E6600 to 4.0 on a 1:1 ratio, what (if any) chips are out there to meet my needs?

Steve, you are getting a little off topic, but any RAM that will do DDR2-890 (445 FSB @ 1:1) will work for you. Almost all name brand PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) with D9 chips will easily do this. There are high speed DDR2 RAM rated DDR-1000 (and maybe higher) on the market now.

tRMS is usually best at 15.6us in fact. Same as it was with A64's and AXP's. Write-read turnaround is an important one as well (probably the most causal)...best to run 3. These are my best timings:

36031.JPG

I've seen some people run page idle timer at 0T, but I haven't tried that yet.

I've seen 8000mbs and better but I can't read what SN is getting.
Focus on the memory timings and PI. Post the data on the cpu and htt/fsb speeds as Text!

Last edited:
Back