• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Via aqua 1300 Or the like(external wall powered pump)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smitty1258

How many of you are running the Via aqua 1300 or even greater like that Via aqua 2600 etc..

How many are running it submerged, and how many are not?

Or any other type of fish tank pump?

How many run 2 pumps for safety sake?

I am building a secondary enclosure for all of my WC parts(pump, res, rad, etc..). The only thing inside my computer case will be the waterblock(only cpu for now) and the tubing.

Also i read that the VIA pumps should be submerged for better performance, but they do dump some heat into the res. What if I were to make a seperate water tank that only help the pump and was not in the circulation of the loop? Meaning the pump would have its 2 lines coming in and out, but the water in the tank the pump was sitting in WAS NOT IN THE LOOP at all, get what I mean?

It also seems that the via 4900 has 14ft of head!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...tid=8164&Ne=40000&R=11806&Nao=18&N=2004+22788

Thanks,
Tyler

Last edited:
Well if you like AC pumps and don't mind spending alittle look at the Ehiem 1250 or 1048 probably some of the best AC powered pumps out there.

Finally if you have some airflow in you WCing case that runs over the pump it should be fine. The water is to keep the pump cool in low airflow enviornments.

You can't look just at head pressure, you also have to look at heat dump. I haven't heard of anyone using above an 1800 because of heat dump.

I use a Rainbow Lifeguard Quiet One 3000.
It's got 10.5' of head, and only takes 40 watts for 780GPH. Submersible or not, your choice (using two different intake plates that come with it).

It's not as quiet as the name implies. It's about as loud as a psu fan though, so not too bad. Mine doesn't sit by my desk anyway.
Also, the inlet plate has those stoopid round manufacture dates heat stamped into it, so I had to lap it like a waterblock to keep the impeller from bumping the excess plastic. That took alot of the noise away too.

It's nice that both inlet and outlet are male fittings (1" NPT---bigguns) so you need not worry about cracking them when installing your hose barbs like a female fitting can.

Beautiful curved vein impeller too. Not like those pump impellers that look like a cheap kids toy.

I use 1" hose, so it might not perform for you as it does for me. Mine's going on two years old now, and is cooling the rig I'm typing this with.

BTW, your pump needs to match the radiator and tubing size you're going with. You'll get little gain from using a pump like mine with a Black Ice Anything and 1/2" tube. It'll make your pump run louder, and the backpressure might actually increase the heat dump by raising the amperage draw of the motor.

Last edited:
I have a Via Aqua 1300 that I was recently using. I did the impeller mod with RTV silicon sealant. The pump still had an annoyingly loud rattle and vibrated quite a bit. The 1300 is known to be unreliable when not submerged. I'm using my Eheim 1250 now, which I've had for a few years at least. The Eheim is pretty much dead silent. It vibrates more than the 1048, but nothing a piece of foam cant solve.

P.S.

I have had two Via Aqua 1300's, and in my experience both operated the same.

Don't use anything about the 1300. I believe the 2600 and above have 5/8" barbs. They are not made to handle the restriction of water cooling and will click loudly if you try to use them as such (personal experience, trust me).

Back when I used the 1300 it did not make any clicking noises, but I was using a TDX and a TT bigwater GPU block.

Back