• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lian-Li pc61 with thermochill 120.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoBePmp

I'm wondering where I should mount my rad. On the outside with a swiftech radbox or on the inside case on the bottom? If I mount it on the bottom do I have to cut holes? If I use the radbox do I remove the 80mm case fan or leave it?

Last edited:
how would it work for you on top of the case.??
i have a old antce case thats where i would have to go with it.

bknight said:
how would it work for you on top of the case.??
i have a old antce case thats where i would have to go with it.
It dont think it will work on the top panel because I have a window there already.

Will work fine on base of case with appropriate blowholes cut, but you'll need some feet to lift the case off the floor by an inch to two inches to get (relatively) unrestricted airflow...

I have 2 PC-7 Lian Li's (very similar to the PC-60/61) and I have mounted both BIX2 and 120.2 Heater Core on the top of the case. Two 120mm holes on the top of the case are sufficient. For the heatercore, you have to hack the drive bays a bit but it will fit with some work... =) I never tried the bottom of the case, I like to hide the radiators on my rigs.

[O-CuK]Marci said:
Will work fine on base of case with appropriate blowholes cut, but you'll need some feet to lift the case off the floor by an inch to two inches to get (relatively) unrestricted airflow...
What would be best to cut the blowholes...a hole saw a jigsaw or a dremel? Also I'm assuming I want the fans sucking air into the case,is that right?

ctrl_alt_del_ said:
Your assumption is correct - cold air from outside into the case. The easiest way to make the holes is with a drill and a 118mm wholesaw.
Thats what I thought but I saw in another forum that when mounting a rad on the botom of case you need to have fans blowing down to prevent "dust bunnies".

when mounting a rad on the botom of case you need to have fans blowing down to prevent "dust bunnies".

No... some ADVISE to have fans blowing out of case to avoid dust buildup. This is in no way a necessity... merely for those who cba with maintenance.

S'quite simple to have fans pulling in and purchase dustfilters to go on the outside of the case... slight bit more maintenance (scraping dust off the filters every 2 months or so) but generally will offer improved temps.

SoBePmp said:
It dont think it will work on the top panel because I have a window there already.
If you aren't wedded to the window on the top (and the current hole would prevent you from mounting a radiator) you can get a new top panel at SilverPCs for about $25 (I'd have provided a link, but the link option was giving strange results and I'm out of practice writing HTML). If you don't have a giant hole in the top now, a "regular" grill should cover it.

Here's a pic of a Thermochill 120.2 in my PC-61. You would loose the top two 5.25 bays, but you wouldn't loose any PCI slots. I guess you'll need to think about the trade-off. Oh, and the grill is "square" with respect to the top, it's just a funky pic and I'm too lazy to take another :).

Edit: One thing to consider when putting the radiator on the top is the amount of space between the radiator and the PSU. I've got a Silverstone Zeus 520 in this box and there can't be much more than half an inch clearance between the radiator and PSU so you may have to be rather precise in mounting the radiator depending on the PSU you're using. If you'd like a pic of the clearance, let me know and I'll post one in a separate message (multiple pics show up as links if they're in the same message and I'd rather the pic show up with the post--and I upload the pics (rather than linking to my server) since I hate looking at old threads where the pics have disappeared, so I'm making sure mine stay with the thread).

Attachments

• 2006-04-25 015s.jpg
    2006-04-25 015s.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
MVC said:
If you aren't wedded to the window on the top (and the current hole would prevent you from mounting a radiator) you can get a new top panel at SilverPCs for about $25 (I'd have provided a link, but the link option was giving strange results and I'm out of practice writing HTML). If you don't have a giant hole in the top now, a "regular" grill should cover it.

Here's a pic of a Thermochill 120.2 in my PC-61. You would loose the top two 5.25 bays, but you wouldn't loose any PCI slots. I guess you'll need to think about the trade-off. Oh, and the grill is "square" with respect to the top, it's just a funky pic and I'm too lazy to take another :).

Edit: One thing to consider when putting the radiator on the top is the amount of space between the radiator and the PSU. I've got a Silverstone Zeus 520 in this box and there can't be much more than half an inch clearance between the radiator and PSU so you may have to be rather precise in mounting the radiator depending on the PSU you're using. If you'd like a pic of the clearance, let me know and I'll post one in a separate message (multiple pics show up as links if they're in the same message and I'd rather the pic show up with the post--and I upload the pics (rather than linking to my server) since I hate looking at old threads where the pics have disappeared, so I'm making sure mine stay with the thread).
Thanx for the tip but because of the PSU I just don't have the space on top.

Back