• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC Case ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LittleMike

I had posted this question a while back in the water cooling case compilation thread but never got a response. Is it possible to have a completely internal watercooling setup in a mid-tower case? I was thinking of something along the lines of an Antec P-160 case. I've seen a rig where it had an external reservoir, but I was thinking t-line instead. Too crowded in there? Or do you think it can be done? The idea here is little to no modding as well. Maybe I should have mentioned that first :p

anything can be done you just need to figure out the right way. i dont see why not. do some real nice wire management and keep the lines short an simple and you should be good. mount the rad on the back or top of the case. T-line would be suitable in your case.

If you don't want to do much modding, you would either need to mount a rad on top or on the back and run your lines through a PCI slot. Sure it can be done if you have the rad on the outside. You would have to cut holes if you wanted one mounted inside of the case however. I don't see a problem being able to mount a Swiftech micres if you wanted to go with a res for that matter.

I had posted this question a while back in the water cooling case compilation thread but never got a response. Is it possible to have a completely internal watercooling setup in a mid-tower case?

Here is my 16" Chenbro mid tower with an internal triple rad, so yeah its possible:

radmb_800x600.jpg

Above replaced an Antec Sonata, which I would rate as a small mid. No modding at all was applied in setting up this system:

P1010061.JPG

I have yet to find a need for anything larger then a mid. Well except maybe when the new quad BIX's become available :eek:

Last edited:
Wow guys, thanks. Awesome responses. Few questions:

@ctrl_alt_del_: Where is the tubing going from the CPU block? I see it going up, but it disappears. Also, how the heck did you get the cables all hidden like that? My biggest problem with cable management is that I have a molex connector on the board by the PCI slots and I can't figure out how to tuck that one away - it's a P4N Diamond board if that helps.

@calvin:
I see you have a reservoir in the second picture, how does the first one work? And where are your drives? Also in the second picture, is that rad just propped up against the drive bays? And it looks like you have sideways harddrive bays, is that where the pump is stashed?

Thanks again guys, you're definitely giving me ideas. And it definitely looks like it can be done with no modding. I also have a lot of crap to put in the case :p See my sig for details.

Try and answer those questions

I see you have a reservoir in the second picture, how does the first one work? And where are your drives?

Same, also using a bay res. As far as hard drives case has sufficient 3.5 bays for 8 hard drives. Like the 5.5's the 3.5's are external bays, a feature I've really come to appreciate. Couple shots from the other side of the rad below. The twin 3.5 cages are pulled forward enough to reveal the included 92 mm fan slots for drive cooling.

2_hdd_bays_in_case.JPG

Pump shot

pump_640x480.jpg

Also in the second picture, is that rad just propped up against the drive bays? And it looks like you have sideways harddrive bays, is that where the pump is stashed?

Used Velcro. Top shot rad is bolted, triples are rather more unwieldy. As far as the pump no its right next to the res. I always strive not to let the cooling system reduce my expansion options. Used one of these Swiftech setups:

swift-res-65_2.jpg

Great for small mids, very space efficient.

Hey Calvin, thanks again. I'm confused though, from what I understand both setups have the rad more or less sitting in the middle of the case (velcro secured, or whatever) but they're not against the outside of any side of the case, so how do they vent the air? Aren't they normally set to vent out the back or the top or something to that effect? If the harddrives are in front of the rad, then the twin 92mm intakes are sucking in air from the front over the harddrives and the rad is sucking in that air and venting it into the main area of the case, no? Sorry if I got that wrong, that's what I gathered from what you said.

If you wanted to do it in a P160 you'll probably have to do some modding to make room, either shaving the 3 1/2" bays off the bottom or cutting the top open. I'd recommend getting a larger case if you don't want to mod it, the Armor is a particularly nice case for watercooling-it can fit a dual 120mm radiator in the front without any cuts.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Springbok, but the point of the post was to ask if there were any mid-tower cases that can fit watercooling rigs all internally. I have a Stacker sitting right next to me and it's too big for me. I want to put this all in a mid-tower case if possible without modding, but minor modding would be acceptable. :)

Hey Calvin, thanks again. I'm confused though, from what I understand both setups have the rad more or less sitting in the middle of the case (velcro secured, or whatever) but they're not against the outside of any side of the case, so how do they vent the air? Aren't they normally set to vent out the back or the top or something to that effect? If the harddrives are in front of the rad, then the twin 92mm intakes are sucking in air from the front over the harddrives and the rad is sucking in that air and venting it into the main area of the case, no? Sorry if I got that wrong, that's what I gathered from what you said.

Consider a high end air cooler. Its in the middle of the case. It vents the heat back into the case. Yet they can provide quite effective cooling. Why? Because what actually does the venting are the case exhaust fans, not the fans on the rad. Same is true with majority of systems with either top or front mount rad placements - they are also configured to vent into the case. Different location, same result.

Good luck with your project...Bigger is usually better but don't automatically rule out that middie :beer:

calvin said:
Consider a high end air cooler. Its in the middle of the case. It vents the heat back into the case. Yet they can provide quite effective cooling. Why? Because what actually does the venting are the case exhaust fans, not the fans on the rad. Same is true with majority of systems with either top or front mount rad placements - they are also configured to vent into the case. Different location, same result.

Good luck with your project...Bigger is usually better but don't automatically rule out that middie :beer:

Thanks again, Calvin. I was under the impression that a top mounted rad would vent hot air out of the top, same as a rear mounted rad or radbox - it would push it out the back of the case like normal exhaust fans do. I don't know, it sounds like it would work, but it doesn't sound as efficient having it blow into the case. Especially because it's not really getting cool air from the front. I guess it's just a matter of taste ;) So, any suggestions as to which case I could go with? I want something kind of short. It can be long, but I'm most concerned with the height of it. You say one of the cases you used was 16"?

Very cool thread, Cal. I would prefer a 100% internal setup, and that was the point of this post originally. I just didn't know if it could be done, or how if it could and what cases I could manage that with using little to no mod

Back