• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Pump Crash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blide30

Registered
I came home yesterday and found my PC rebooting over and over and noticed my water cooling pump had failed! None of the fluid was being pumped through the system and I have to presume my processer (AMD 3500, slightly overclocked) was overheating causing my PC to reboot. :eek:

I ordered a new pump today and my question for you guys is... Do you think my processer is OK?

was there any kind of overheat protection enabled in the bios, or through software? Did take the chip out and examine it, smell for any burning smell. There really is only one way to know for sure though, and that is to try to boot up with the chip.

I didn't take the chip out because it's a PIA to take the whole thing apart. I would have to pull out the motherboard to get the waterblock off and etc. My AN8 motherboard is on the default settings so I'm not sure if that setting was on or off. I thought I had read somewhere the newer AMD chips had thermal protection on them, so that's why I was asking.

I think you will be fine . I have forgot to turn my pump on a few times and never had any damage done. If it was just rebooting over and over I dont think it will have got so that that it would have damaged somthing but you never know. let us know how it goes when you get the new pump

I wouldn't take it off. If you install the new pump and it still boots, you will have super cured AS5! If it was rebooting I'm pretty sure it's thermal protection kicking in. Although you should have it to power off on failure, not restart.

Hey thanks for the support guys! To save embarassment I didn't tell you guys my WC setup because it was a thermaltake 1/4 kit.:bang head

Here is the new pump I got in from frozencpu.com (which is great on shipping - USPS from NY to TX 2 day $12). Plus ran tests my OC AMD3500 and it seems to be in great shape still.

Old Pump:
oldpump.jpg

New Pump: Alphacool 600 (Eheim Inside) Very easy to setup...
newpump.jpg

well, that defiantly proves that you cant go cheap on water cooling pumps.

yea, overheating shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't fry.

i had an e6300 get up to 100c YES, that is correct, 100 degrees Celsiuses. it didn't hurt the chip at all. its still an over clocking monster.

Back