• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ObiwanShinobi

Should I keep my pump before my block? Or does my d5 pump heat up the water and cause me to loose performance?

The water will be at its coolest after the radiator. However having the pump before the cpu block wont affect temps much, if at all. Go with what is easier to route.

downer said:
The water will be at its coolest after the radiator.
A water-cooling loop is a closed circuit. The temperature gradient between one end and the other is less than 1C because your water should be moving fast enough that everything reaches thermal homeostasis.

It doesn't really matter what order the devices are placed in the loop. Simply setup the loop in a way that avoids sharp bends.

downer said:
Go with what is easier to route.

Agreed. Just don't make the pump fight gravity, as in making it push water straight up through a res then to multiple blocks and a rad. It helps the pump's life.

Captain Slug said:
A water-cooling loop is a closed circuit. The temperature gradient between one end and the other is less than 1C because your water should be moving fast enough that everything reaches thermal homeostasis.

It doesn't really matter what order the devices are placed in the loop. Simply setup the loop in a way that avoids sharp bends.

Wow! I've never heard of thermal homeostasis, that piece of information helps me a lot. I was worrying about which way my loop would be setup when I get my setup.

Very helpful, Cap'n. Thanks! :bday:

Captain Slug said:

True, but the water IS the coolest right out of the rad, no matter how small it is this is where the water is the coolest. Just nitpicking :D

So, even though the pump gets really warm the water doesnt stay in the pump long enough to get it any warmer?

ziggo0 said:
Agreed. Just don't make the pump fight gravity, as in making it push water straight up through a res then to multiple blocks and a rad. It helps the pump's life.
Awh jeess. Gravity has no effect on flow rates in a closed loop. Whatever extra energy it takes to push the water up is regained when gravity pulls the water back down. Gravity is a net zero proposition.

billb said:
Awh jeess. Gravity has no effect on flow rates in a closed loop. Whatever extra energy it takes to push the water up is regained when gravity pulls the water back down. Gravity is a net zero proposition.

Try explaining that to everyone else around here that I got shunned for on my loop when they saw that I did that.

billb, I think what ziggo0 is saying is not to have the pump OUTLET going directly into a res, at least I think that is what he means. You would get 'shunned' for that big time by all.

Yeah, ziggo0 is explaining to keep the pump's inlet under a res/tee-line, as they are gravity fed.

nikhsub1 said:
billb, I think what ziggo0 is saying is not to have the pump OUTLET going directly into a res, at least I think that is what he means. You would get 'shunned' for that big time by all.

zing~

SolidxSnake said:
Yeah, ziggo0 is explaining to keep the pump's inlet under a res/tee-line, as they are gravity fed.

and zing! Thats what I meant...thought I said that..."make it push water up" as in the outlet of the pump, I r retarded :santa:

ziggo0 said:
zing~

and zing! Thats what I meant...thought I said that..."make it push water up" as in the outlet of the pump, I r retarded :santa:
I'm glad we got that straight.

Back