• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Critique this, and suggest. Pics.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lokitexas

Still looking for ideas here on where to put my rad. I have decent temps, but my case seems to collect heat...since I have the rad on the back with a radbox it seems my exhaust is lacking.

Ok so I got 2 HD coolers and moved them to the 5.25 bays and took out the removable hd cage. Now I have more room in the front. I put a 120mm fan in their for an idea of the room.

I got that little cage thing on the bottom that I am not sure if I can remove...or if I even should. If I do remove it...what the hell do I use? It seems to be bolted on pretty good.

What I am trying to do is find a better place for my rad. How much hot air is going to be blowing into my case with the rad in the front? Will it pretty much screw up my passive GPU coolers?

What about mounting the rad up on top of the case and make holes for the hoses? I could probably get a 2x120 rad going that way. Do I just use the radbox and screw it in?

So I am looking for any suggestions on make this a little cleaner, and effective. Please let me know! Thanks in advanced.

I had my system setup the same way with the rad on the back. However I had the fan pulling air through the rad into the case and made sure it was sealed agaist eh back of the case.

So my airflow was as follows

Front bottom- Intake
Back Middle- Intake

PSU- High Exhaust
Front high - Exhaust. ( baycooler. 2 92mm fans blowing out the top 5.25 bay)

If you're going though the trouble...why not this?

Attachments

• Image12.jpg
    Image12.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 243
I agree w/ Billb... stick a PA 120.3 on the back of that sucker and then exhuast through the front (reversal of the typical aiflow arrangement). You could also WC your sli cards w/ a PA120.3 as well.

Hmmm...didnt really think of that. But that would mean a bigger rad, and a probably a bigger pump, then 2 GPU blocks.

Was just looking to move some hot air out of the case, quietly, and possibly ad a 2x120 rad.

Even adding a 3x120 on top would be ok I guess. So any dis-advantages to mounting on top?

No problems doing a top-mount.

Your setup looks nice, btw. For a single CPU and chipset, a single 120 will do the job fine. A 2 or 3x120 radiator would help temps a little, but it's not a necessity.

Alien1099 said:
+1

I'd have watercooled the GPUs before ever thinking about the chipset, but that's me.

then again, $400 to watercool them both vs. $100 to aircool them might be an issue, although of course watercooling them would be better.

I think your best bet would be a top mount with 2-120mm fan holes cut into the top of the case for exhaust. Those vid cards are putting out a lot of heat, and you probably just don't have enough exhaust in the top of your case. You may also be able to mount at 2x120mm in front if you take out those 5.25 racks with air blowing in.

I figured the way I change out GPU cards, that getting 2 blocks for them would be a waste in a few months if they didnt fit my next purchase.

Also Asus chipet fans are horrid and loud.

Anyway, I like your idea. I was thinking about the rad in front but I need all the 5.25 bays.

So if I mount the rad on top, I want air from INSIDE the case blowing through it?

voigts said:
then again, $400 to watercool them both vs. $100 to aircool them might be an issue, although of course watercooling them would be better.

I think your best bet would be a top mount with 2-120mm fan holes cut into the top of the case for exhaust. Those vid cards are putting out a lot of heat, and you probably just don't have enough exhaust in the top of your case. You may also be able to mount at 2x120mm in front if you take out those 5.25 racks with air blowing in.

I didn't realize they were 7950s. Is that the SLI in one card?

billb said:
If you're going though the trouble...why not this?

Can someone ID those extensions for the RAD? I have never seen a setup like that one where the fan mounts on the inside and is able to pass through the rad.

Last edited:
Back